The Orvis Retail Fishing Manager is a retail professional role model in attitude and appearance who drives sales and profit growth by providing a world-class shopping experience to all Orvis customers. The Fishing Manager assists the Store Manager in all management duties of the retail store, completes assignments delegated by the Store Manager, and is responsible for the daily operations of the fly-fishing department including coaching and training other store associates to be confident in selling fishing and outdoor products.
We are looking for managers who can establish, maintain, and promote Sporting Tradition activities that enhance our reputation in the marketplace as well as introduce new customers to this lifestyle through fly-fishing schools, casting clinics, and seminars. The successful Fishing Manager has experience developing relationships with local fly-fishing organizations, conservation groups, Orvis Endorsed Operations, and other partners that can increase customer traffic and the use of Orvis products.
About the Company
In 1856, Charles Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering the finest fly fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, along with our world famous fly-fishing gear, Orvis offers distinctive clothing, home furnishings, gifts, and dog products. Each item is rooted in our heritage of authenticity and the outdoors, and is backed with a no-questions-asked guarantee. As the longest-running mail order business in the United States, and with our flagship retail store located in the same Vermont village as the original store since 1856, we offer experience and knowledge that no other retail company can. Each day we strive to apply what we know and learn to bring our customers even better service and products tomorrow.
Orvis Company associates take pride in our world-class service and products, treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect. We work in a supportive, team-oriented environment, focusing on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding our customers' expectations. The Orvis Company and our associates are committed to giving back to our communities and protecting nature.
We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental coverage, a generous merchandise discount, and an employer-matched 401(K) savings plan. Orvis is an equal-opportunity employer.
The position reports to the Store Manager and will interact on a daily basis with store associates. Position will interface regularly with Retail Rod and Tackle, Orvis Travel, District Manager, and Outdoor District Manager.
Performance will be evaluated on the position responsibilities and on the financial measurements of the retail store based on established standards and goals. This position is expected to achieve high individual sales plans.
- Subscribe to the highest customer service standards, and provide a personal example for the team of a true retail professional at all times;
- Partner with the Store Manager to train and coach store associates on selling skills in order to drive sales and achieve store sales goals;
- Understand Orvis policy and procedures, adhere to them, and ensure compliance by the team;
- Be an ambassador of the brand and instill the Orvis Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Culture in the entire team;
- Communicate the Orvis Brand and its lifestyle through creative and effective presentations, maintain visual standards, emphasize key product/corporate directed messages, and maximize sell-thru by product placement and signage.
- Retail experience;
- Successful sales experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Extensive practical, multidiscipline, hands-on fly-fishing experience;
- Thorough knowledge of local fisheries and emphasis on techniques used in local fisheries;
- Thorough understanding of freshwater and saltwater knots and rigging;
- Proficient fly tying skills;
- Excellent retail business acumen including selling skills, visual presentation, and sales analysis;
- Flexibility in personal time commitments to do what is necessary based on the needs of the business;
- Up-to-date computer skills with the aptitude to learn and utilize business programs and the ability to teach these programs to the team;
- Physical strength to reach, move, and handle merchandise in high and low areas, and the stamina to execute floor sets;
- Ability to receive and process large shipments of merchandise daily as well as implement and oversee the efficient organization of inventory flow.
- College degree;
- Merchandising experience;
- Knowledge of upland hunting.