Product Development Associate/Graphic Design
UncommonGoods is an ecommerce and catalog retail company with a focus on unique gifts and creative design. We are currently expanding and looking for a graphic designer to join our growing product development team. The designer will develop concepts and execute designs that will be applied to consumer products such as glassware, ceramics, textiles (pillows, bags), printed journals, and wall art. Strong concept development skills, versatility of style, and the ability to accept and apply critical feedback with a positive attitude are essential to this position.
- Degree in Graphic Design or related field preferred, but not necessary if experience and portfolio warrant.
- Must be proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Microsoft Office, and be able to work on both a PC and Mac platform.
- At least 1-2 years work experience.
Skills and qualifications:
- Must be a self-starter who can take a project from concept to completion.
- Prioritize and manage work to adhere to project timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong conceptual thinking--Past experience with proven results in concept development is a must.
- Open minded, ability to accept and apply critical feedback with a positive attitude.
- Ability to do simple (or advanced) illustrations and hand typography-Versatility of style/aesthetic is a must.
- Must have an understanding and love of typography.
- Experience in print and packaging production.
- Excellent communication skills through type, rendering, and sketching.
- Ability to create product specification documents and technical drawings is a major plus.
- Must work well within a team, as well as individually.
- Passion and drive to create great work.
- Develop concepts and create multiple design options for review by director of product development.
- Create production-ready designs that will be applied to consumer products such as glassware, ceramics, textiles (pillows, bags), desktop items, and wall art.
- Create layouts for printed journals and books.
- Work with existing collateral to improve upon design/composition and prepare for production.
- Design product packaging as needed.
- Assess consumer and market trends.
To apply please submit a resume, cover letter, and your portfolio presented in either PDF or online format. Portfolios that show strong concept development skills and a versatility of style will be given priority.