Appen is looking for a Cebuano Linguist, with sound knowledge of Phonetics and Phonology. The work will involve assisting in the creation of the Lexicon component of a Speech Database (SDB) in Cebuano, as spoken in The Philippines.
A Lexicon is an electronic pronunciation dictionary (in text format) consisting of phonetic representations of all words transcribed from audio files in a SDB. The lexicon will also include syllable boundaries and stress or tone mark-up. The Cebuano lexicon should also include variant pronunciations, dialectal or regional variation, and may include additional labelling indicating ‘foreign word’, ‘Proper Name’, ‘acronym’, ‘homonym’, etc.
The work will also involve creating documents to describe the language for the purpose of language technology development and assisting with resolution of any spelling standardisation or dialectal variation issues in the language. The majority of the linguist’s time will be spent checking and correcting transcriptions of words in and IPA-equivalent phonetic alphabet. Training in Appen processes will be provided.
• Location: Remote, Global
• Hours: Requires a commitment of approximately 10 hours per week, depending on the tasks required. Please note that the work may be sporadic at times but we will do our best to give you fair warning of any changes to the workflow and timelines.
• Length of assignment: Work will commence immediately (February 2014), and be ongoing for the next 4-6 months.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must have a background in linguistics and a familiarity with Cebuano at the level of a fluent native speaker.
• Specific linguistic background should be geared towards Phonetics and Phonology, and as such the candidate should be familiar with the IPA.
• Must be fluent in English.
• Must be able to read and write Cebuano.
• Must be able to type the Cebuano alphabet into Firefox web browsers.
• Must be able to make decisions on spelling (with the assistance of another linguist).
• Must have good typing and computer skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Masters or PhD in Linguistics
• Specialization in Phonetics or Phonology
• Experience with correcting phonetic transcriptions for speech technology
• Coding skills for Computational Linguistics.