Computational linguists with phonetics expertise for an upcoming project.
Native speakers of at least one of the following;
- Simplified Chinese
- New Zealand English
- Canadian French
- Dutch (Belgium)
- German (Austria or Germany)
- Location: Remote, Global
- Hours: approximately 4 hours per week, with occasional peaks of 20 hours per week, with reasonable advance notice
- Length: through June 2014
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Highly skilled in computational linguistics and phonetics (Master’s or PhD)
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Experienced in development of language assets of speech recognition and text-to-speech technologies
- Familiar with XML structures
- Familiar with running command-line tools (ability to use a scripting language, such as Perl or Python, is a plus)
- Proficient in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)
- Projects require excellent English reading, writing and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills in a Windows environment and greater than average comfort with software and technology are expected.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experienced with at least one programming language; e.g., PERL, Python, or C#
- Familiar with regular expression (RegEx) use
- Experienced using Visual Studio
- Familiar with creation of text normalization (TN) and inverse text normalization (ITN) rules
- Able to run simple scripts and work with command-line-based tools
- Able to analyze test results and propose solutions
- Familiar with bug-tracking systems and tools
US residents must have US work authorization (US citizen or permanent resident). Unfortunately, Appen cannot sponsor employment visas at this time. You will be required to sign a legally binding non-disclosure agreement at the time of contract negotiation.
This is a contract position.