Haiti Country Director
|Location:||WC - Haiti|
|# of openings:||1|
|Requisition Closing Date:|
|Job Description:||Position: Country Director
Reports To: Senior Director of International Operations
Supervises: Coordinator of Regular Program, Coordinator of Emergency Programs, General Services Officer and Regional Coordinators
Purpose: The Country Director is responsible to for the daily operations of World Concern Haiti’s programming, providing leadership and direction to the individuals and teams running both the development and disaster response programs so that World Concern’s purpose and mission are acted out.
1) Program Operations
• Lead World Concern Haiti program design, proposal development and reporting for current and future projects ensuring the implementation of the national programmatic strategies, including fulfillment of goals for target achievement and technical quality assurance according to set deadlines, incorporating key humanitarian best practices. Ensures smooth functioning of program planning and monitoring systems and stakeholder relationships.
• Work together closely with the disaster response team through WC headquarters on disaster funded project, sharing program design, implementation and reporting functions.
• Ensure that all reporting requirements both within the organization and to the government and donors are fulfilled in a timely, accurate and professional manner. If necessary, develop communication systems that support the need.
• Be sensitive to the changing political, social and economic structures within Haiti in order to maximize effectiveness of program efforts and resources for the benefit and development of targeted communities
• Establish, grow and evaluate new programs and/or field offices (as needed).
2) Leadership/ Supervision
• Encourage the development of staff through personal exemplary living, mentoring, teaching and coaching, modeling servant-leadership, Biblical ethics and professionalism. Building capacity of local staff to effectively handle current responsibilities, fulfill organizational functions, successfully adapt to future innovations, and adhere to relief and development best practices and World Concern mission and values.
• Monitor and develop program implementation both on site and remotely, supervise key personnel and field offices and evaluate program activities to ensure best practices and that targets for quantity, quality and staff/beneficiary care are met.
• In supervising the security role within the World Concern Haiti structure, ensure that security plans are current, and World Concern meets best practices. Monitor relationship between WC Security Director and staff assigned to security role.
• Recruit and interview potential staff for open positions that fall under supervisory responsibilities.
3) Organizational Representation
• Communicate effectively World Concern’s vision for holistic relief and development to a broad range of entities such as governments, NGOs, donors and other partners.
• Model and training staff how to develop project proposals based on our needs and the needs of the partner organization, how to evaluate projects, and how to report effectively - as per donors’ needs.
• Cultivate collaborative implementation partnerships at the national and field levels, managing partner formation, maintenance and compliance with contractual agreements.
Required Education, Skills & Experience:
1. Spiritually mature follower of Jesus Christ and committed to World Concern’s values and mission.
2. Leadership that is characterized by integrity and honesty, with an ability to speak the truth in love and understanding.
3. Discernment and consistency in working in situations where ambiguity may exist at several levels in the working environment.
4. Ability to develop positive and trusting intercultural relationships and relationships between various development agencies.
5. Minimum Bachelors degree in related field and 3 years experience implementing relief and holistic development programs in a management role.
6. Sufficient administrative and management skills to lead $6 – 10 million program and a team of 3 – 5 senior Managers with 70 - 100 staff these senior managers will direct.
7. Understanding of the principles of community development and the use of participatory development techniques for the development of national leadership and strong, healthy communities.
8. Experience working in relief and development in a developing country.
9. A proven ability to maintain an open and accountable relationship with a supervisor through regular communication and consultation.
10. The ability to provide good quality reports and other management documentation within established deadlines.
11. A commitment to applying biblical principles of peacemaking when dealing with interpersonal conflict within the organization.
12. A teachable attitude that welcomes constructive feedback and seeks to apply lessons to facilitate personal growth.
13. Experience in program development.
14. Strong planning / reporting skills.
15. Able to manage budgets, understand financial accountability procedures, logistics, and commodity tracking.
16. Well versed in Public Relations and diplomacy - Tact under stress is essential.
17. Fluent in English and French.
18. Understand and responding appropriately to local cultures in order to conceptualize the work so it is recognized by local people as culturally appropriate and meaningful.
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience:
1. Experience in applying the principles of community development, holistic development and coaching/mentoring.
2. Clear written and verbal communication skills in languages relevant to the country.
3. Post-graduate education in topics relevant to World Concern’s work in development and emergency response.
4. The ability to utilize a computer and software programs as a resource for communication flow and management of large amounts of data.
1. Urban living conditions in developing country.
2. Travel in sometimes dangerous conditions.
3. Position at times requires long hours in a demanding environment.
4. Office environment for at least 70% of time.
5. Operations are carried out in a multi-cultural context and strive to meet or exceed international standards.
|Back to Search Results