The Research Technician is responsible for performing laboratory tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of solid, liquid, or gaseous materials for such purposes as quality control, process control, or product development. This position provides technical support to enable the laboratory to function effectively, while adhering to correct procedures and safety guidelines. It is typically primarily assigned to the support of TAMKO’s Asphalt Supply Strategy.
Summary of essential job functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assemble and evaluate asphalt blends.
- Conduct flux and flux blend evaluations.
- Conduct flux and flux blend oxidation.
- Prepare coating samples for testing.
- Conduct testing on coating samples.
- Conduct testing on polymer modified flux or saturant.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment.
- Set up, adjust and operate laboratory equipment and instruments such as microscopes, centrifuge, agitators, viscosimeter, chemical balance scales, spectrophotometer, gas chromatograph and other equipment.
- Test samples of manufactured products to verify conformity to specifications.
- Record test results on standardized forms and write test reports describing procedures used.
- Clean and sterilize laboratory equipment, and calibrate laboratory instruments.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in science related field is required.
- One to three years related experience and/or training
- Ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- To perform this job successfully an individual should be able to operate a computer keyboard and use software application programs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Six Sigma training with Green Belt Certification preferred
Other Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in Analytical and Physical Testing equipment and processes
- Knowledge of industry wide (ASTM, ARMA, TAPPI) standard methods
- Availability to work rotating shifts if needed
- Maintain confidentiality
To be successful in this role, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to compliment data.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Customer Service - Responds to requests for service and assistance; deals with others in a manner which shows sensitivity, tack and professionalism.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this Job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this Job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, extreme heat and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan, and other benefits.
TAMKO® Building Products, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest independent manufacturers of residential and commercial roofing products (including MetalWorks® Steel Shingles), decking and railing products, waterproofing, cements and coatings. With more than 65 years in the industry, TAMKO’s success is the direct result of teamwork and enduring relationships with customers, suppliers and employees. Privately owned, TAMKO is committed to producing quality products with superior product support. For more information, visit our website at www.tamko.com.