Shipping and Receiving Operator
TAMKO Building Products, Inc. is seeking a Shipping and Receiving Operator at our Phillipsburg Plant in Phillipsburg, Kansas. The Shipping and Receiving Operator will drive powered industrial truck equipped with lifting devices such as forklift, boom, scoop, lift beam and swivel hook, fork grapple, clamps, elevating platform, or trailer hitch, to push, pull, lift, stack, tier, or move products, equipment, or materials.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs pre-operation inspection of forklifts, loader and trucks; refuels vehicles.
- Operates forklifts to load finished goods and unload raw materials, including truck and rail car loading and unloading.
- Inventories finished goods, work in progress, and raw materials.
- Maintains 5S responsibilities in designated areas.
- Manually hand stacks finished goods, work in progress, and raw materials from time to time.
- Positions forks, lifting platform, or other lifting device under, over, or around loaded pallets, skids, boxes, products or materials, or hooks tow trucks to trailer hitch, and transports load to designated area.
- Applies protection to products stored at remote areas.
- Weighs materials or products and records weight on tags, labels, or production schedules.
- Other duties may be assigned
- Ability to perform each essential duty satisfactorily
- High school diploma or GED
- Forklift operator experience preferred
Physical Requirements/Work environment
- The physical requirements of this position are rated as "very heavy work.” This entails exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field of vision that is equal to mobile equipment operators, which carries a minimum standard for use with those who operate cars, trucks, forklifts, cranes and high lift equipment.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
To be successful in this role, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Language Skills - Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence; ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions; ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully an individual should have knowledge of SAP Manufacturing
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
In addition to an attractive wage, this position offers a competitive benefits package including Group Health and Life Insurance, Vision and Dental Insurance, a Flexible Benefits Plan, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with a company match, a Profit Sharing Retirement Plan, and other benefits.
TAMKO® Building Products, Inc. is one of the nation’s largest independent manufacturers of residential and commercial roofing products (including MetalWorks® Steel Shingles), decking and railing products, waterproofing, cements and coatings. With more than 65 years in the industry, TAMKO’s success is the direct result of teamwork and enduring relationships with customers, suppliers and employees. Privately owned, TAMKO is committed to producing quality products with superior product support. For more information, visit our website at www.tamko.com.