The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for programming and software development tasks to support and enhance the ARCOS application, working independently and serving as a leader and key technical resource within the department. The Engineer will work on multiple projects, providing timely updates to Engineering management on a regular basis.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This is intended as an outline of the essential functions of the position. Actual metrics that measure job performance are set forth in separate performance management documentation.
- Independently implement medium to large sized complex features in the ARCOS product in the technology areas of IVR development, PL/SQL development, and user interfaces via Java on the application server and client tiers.
- Craft solution strategies and budget estimates for Statements of Work (SOWs) upon request by Professional Service staff
- Loading client data (HRI, OTI, IEX, ad hoc formats) to QA and Production environments
- Implementation of new customer configurations
- Analysis and implementation of clients’ business rules
- Object-oriented software design given requirements of varying level of detail. Analyzes and refines ambiguous requirements through collaboration with internal and customer business partners.
- Unit test case preparation, execution, debugging, and automation.
- Develop, improve, and document deployment procedures.
- Full and partial QA deployments.
- PROD deployments.
- Carry “on call” Blackberry on a rotating basis and research critical system alerts.
- Respond to any Critical System Outage (aka All Hands situation).
- Be proficient and practiced in DR procedures as demonstrated by periodic practice drills.
- Be continuously available (24x7) for contact via cell phone and pager for escalated (Tier 3/4) customer production issues as well as production IVR issues. This responsibility is particularly heightened immediately after phased rollouts.
New Customer Builds
- Creating new customer systems based on System Implementation Guide.
- Data population /configuration.
- Employee data manipulation and loading.
- VRU configuration and programming.
ARCOS Application Environment Administration
- Server reboots.
- Server / application migrations and cutovers.
- System Builds / Software installations (Java, Apache, etc).
- ARCOS application installation.
- Standby Database administration and migrations.
- Autonomously manage projects as assigned using a well defined process including Initiation, Planning, Execution, Monitoring & Controlling, and Closure.
- Responsible for maintaining System Monitoring and Alerting utilities.
Cross-Training / Mentoring / Leadership
- Engineer solutions using architectural concepts prescribed by the CTO. Review the work of and guide peer engineers as such.
- Provide technical and project leadership to efforts requiring the coordination of multiple staff.
- Chair daily status meetings as required by larger multi-engineer efforts.
- Expected to train and help on-boarding of new Developers.
- Act as a resource for Technical Support Engineers as needed.
- Must cross-train other associates on System Monitoring utilities.
- Lead design and code reviews of solutions by self and peer engineers.
Self-Study and Job Knowledge
- Thorough knowledge of the business needs and the detailed functionality of the ARCOS product.
- Understanding of the SaaS model and how it drives our customers’ success.
- Expected to create their training and self-improvement plan.
- Must address any deficiencies in the set of required skills outlined above.
- Attend or complete one training or conference annually.
QUALIFICATIONS, REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS
Individual in this position must have:
- A BS degree in Computer Science or a related field from an accredited four-year university or five years equivalent work experience at ARCOS, Inc. Masters Degree in CS or MIS preferred.
- Completed and mastered all requirements of an Software Engineer II
- A minimum of five years experience working as a Software Developer.
- Technical proficiency with the ARCOS product and is a subject matter expert for the product, including the ability to personally conduct webinars and product demonstrations.
- Complete competency with MS Windows and Office.
- Knowledge and practice of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Excellent typing skills, strong grammar and spelling abilities.
- Demonstrated expertise in all of the following areas:
- Java (Eclipse IDE, Servlet, JSP, JDBC)
- HTML / CSS
- Architecture, Operating Systems and Networking:
- Unix / Solaris OS
- TCP/IP concepts and protocols including HTTP/HTTPS, SMTP, FTP, SSH, and DNS
- Web Services
- Firewalls / NAT
- Apache Tomcat
- Oracle DB Administration (Export, Import, Standby DB Creation and Maintenance, Failovers).