The Senior Data Manager will lead an institutional unit housed within the Communications and Knowledge Management Division (CKM) and will work directly with the Research Divisions, Regional Offices, and Consortium Research Programs of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). This position is a one-year, fixed-term, renewable appointment based in Washington DC.
• Use information-management best practices to harmonize data-collection processes and sources across the Institute.
• Work with Divisions, Regional Offices and IFPRI-led Consortium Research Programs to create institutional, program, and project data plans.
• Oversee the establishment of a centralized (and preferably web-based) system of databases.
• Support Divisions, Regional Offices, and IFPRI-led Consortium Research Programs in adding their databases to the centralized system.
• Design and develop database models—preferably web-based—and optimize database performance.
• Work with the appointed data coordinator for each Division, Regional Office, and IFPRI-led Consortium Research Program.
• Ensure the timely transfer of datasets to the Knowledge Management unit within CKM, to be prepared for public use and stored in public institutional data repositories.
• Provide support and guidance to Divisions, Regional Offices, and IFPRI-led Consortium Research Programs on statistical techniques and packages, and on electronic data-collection software such as computer-assisted personal interviewing (CAPI).
• Perform extensive analysis of database entities, relationships, and attributes to assure data consistency.
• Design large-scale data migrations.
• Work closely with application developers, IT support staff, and web hosting services.
• Master’s degree in Statistics, Computer Sciences, or Social Science.
• 8 years of proven experience in database administration and data analysis, with a minimum of 3 years of data collection experience.
• Knowledge of statistical analysis.
• Experience with assessment design and data management. Significant experience in assessment at the household level, with knowledge of different data-collection methodologies.
• Strong experience in the physical and logical design of database architecture.
• Experience in designing, conducting, and analyzing large surveys in developing-country contexts.
• Programming experience with an emphasis on designing complex database systems based on web-based architecture.
• Excellent knowledge of database management software: ACCESS, STATA, SPSS, R, and/or other statistical programs, and of web-based database management tools.
• Experience in managing, training, and supporting staff.
• Fluency in written and spoken English; excellent English-language writing skills.
• Proven ability to undertake activities through a participatory, inclusive, and consultative process; demonstrated ability to interact professionally with a diverse employee population and with all levels of staff and management.
• Proven interpersonal and negotiating skills.
• Knowledge of data management on mobile devices.
• PhD is preferable.
• Proficiency in another language is desirable; command of French or Spanish would be an asset.
• Knowledge of GIS is preferred.