The main responsibilities of the French Translator/Proofreader include the translation of advertising, promotional and other marketing materials, including legal texts, from English into Québécois.
- Providing an accurate, clear, and fluent translation, faithful to the intent of the original text.
- Proofreading of advertising, promotional and other marketing materials, including legal texts, making sure that the Québécois copy accurately reflects the English, and that it does not contain any grammar, spelling or punctuation mistakes.
- Keeping the required consistency with language and style by using the glossaries and translation tools provided.
- Delivery of work that meets the high-quality standards required by the agency.
- Providing coverage in task/work delegation and supervision in the absence of the Manager
- Handling major projects that may require client interface
- Completing back-translations from Québécois into English
- Other work-related proofreading/editing requests
- Making certain all translation projects proceed according to plan and deadlines, drawing attention to potential problems before they occur.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent translation skills, and competency in the use of glossaries and translations tools
- Knowledge of TRADOS a plus
- Able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment to meet project deadlines
- Excellent knowledge of Québécois grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Strong focus and attention to detail
- Positive attitude, proactive and able to work in a team setting
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience in translation from English to Québécois with written fluency, accuracy and clarity in both languages
- BA/BS degree
- A postgraduate qualification in Translation, with Québécois as a target language
- Bilingual in Québécois and English
- Proficiency with MS Office Word and Excel