Under the supervision and direction of the Director, the Program Assistant for Salsa, Sabor y Salud is primarily responsible for providing quality leadership and supervision in the Salsa, Sabor y Salud program, while maintaining a supportive environment and communicating with participants in and out of group sessions.
Minimum Pre-Hire Qualifications
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one year experience in the department of focus.
- American Safety and Health Institute certifications:
- Current First Aid.
- Current CPRPro (includes AED).
- Current Emergency Oxygen.
- Sensitivity to individuals representing a variety of family, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Must possess proficient written and oral communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Must support the mission of the YMCA of Greater Kansas City and promote the character development values Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Leads an eight-week, Salsa, Sabor y Salud at local Y (or approved off-site location) in accordance with guidelines from the YMCA of the USA.
- Assists in the development of a marketing plan for program implementation.
- Recruits Salsa, Sabor y Salud program participants from the Hispanic/Latino community.
- Implements program curriculum.
- Has a fun and energetic personality.
- Leads small groups and takes responsibility for group dynamics and interactions among participants.
- Keeps attendance and completes log sheet following each session.
- Must be exceptional listener and engage in active listening with participants.
- Has a good knowledge of healthy behaviors and an understanding of the Latino community and the difficulties associated with making a lifestyle change.
- Should have a good understanding of health education content, lifestyle related risk factors in the Latino community, and the impact of certain Behavior and clinical values on risk.
- Collects required documents and evaluation surveys and submits them to the YMCA of the USA designated data collection site for Quality Assurance purposes.
- Provides YMCA of the USA with log sheets and attendance records for Quality Assurance Purposes.
- Assists in evaluation and reporting.