This is a grant funded position
Under the direction of the Executive Director the Healthy Community Initiatives Director will help to advance the goals of the YMCA’s Healthier Communities Initiatives, which includes implementing community-wide interventions as well as targeted interventions with strategies that address critical needs around nutrition and physical activity.
This position will also provide premiere membership service and retention programs by planning, budgeting, promoting and implementing all wellness, membership and financial development programs to ensure growth and development of the YMCA of Greater Kansas City.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or the equivalent combination of education and experience in health related field of study (e.g. public health, health promotion, sports management).
- Two years’ experience in this or a related field.
- Two years supervisor experience and ability to direct a team.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of public health/health promotion concepts
- Ability to relate and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner (community organizing/volunteer development experience a plus).
- Able to develop, manage and monitor department budget.
- Ability to make independent and sound decisions in a fast paced environment.
- Current CPR (child and adult), AED, Oxygen, and First Aid.
- Spanish Speaking Skills a plus.
- This position will contribute to the overall YMCA mission of healthy living, youth development and social responsibility.
- Basic understanding of community-level interventions and participate regularly in REACH grant team meetings
- Design and maintain a diverse schedule of activities, classes and programs for members of all abilities and wellness levels.
- Prepare and evaluate monthly reports.
- Interview, hire, schedule, discipline, and supervise qualified associates.
- Evaluate associates on a regular basis.
- Maintain accurate and complete personnel files including associates certifications.
- Conduct department associates meetings on a regular basis.
- Prepare annual and monthly budget.
- Keep knowledgeable in the areas of exercise science, nutrition, sports, CPR, first aid, choreography, exercise trends, etc. through required Y and national continuing education units.
- Be responsible for reading, understanding and following YMCA of Greater Kansas City Wellness Manual.
- Attend community functions and events to promote the Y, its mission and programs.
- Maintain a safe and clean, well organized wellness area, aerobics studio, office and service areas.
- Develop retention and sales initiatives.
- Ensure follow-up of tours that directly relate to health and wellness and provide training to center and association associates on regular basis.
- Participate with association sports and health and wellness teams.
- Recruit screen and train volunteers.
- Must participate in the YMCA of Greater Kansas City’s Annual Mission Campaign.