The Art Director is responsible for creating and managing outstanding design concepts for all client deliverables. In this role the Art Director will ensure that the design consistently achieves the client’s marketing objectives, as well as identify opportunities for business growth. The Art Director will be responsible for managing multiple projects at various stages of development, while working alongside the editorial and production teams to maintain quality, meet deadlines and remain within budget. We're looking for candidates with publication experience; in this role, you'll be in charge of layout, design and direction for a monthly publication.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Conceptualize and provide art direction for photo shoots, type design and layouts.
- Effectively translate branding and marketing strategies into exceptional creative concepts.
- Work closely with editorial staff and client to select suitable art for each project.
- Create original art and/or illustrations for magazine, including graphics, charts and custom illustrations using both stock art and commissioned images.
- Recruit, supervise and art direct freelance illustrators and photographers
- Provide pre-press supervision of digital photography to ensure color, proper retouching and typographic placement throughout the proofing stages.
- Create, maintain and enforce design styles, guides and rules of client publications and client brands.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding detail-orientation with a relentless focus on quality and continuous improvement
- High level of personal and professional organization; able to work with minimal supervision
- Strong concept development and brainstorming skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at various stages of development in an organized manner; maintain smooth workflow and manage tight, often changing deadlines and priorities
- Work closely with editors, clients and production team to ensure on-time releases of files
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, graphic arts, visual communications or fine arts; 5-7 years of print experience
- In-depth knowledge of Mac OS and design software, primarily Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong sense of typography, illustration, layouts and photography
- In depth knowledge of color, pre-press operations and art photo direction
Imagination is an EOE.