Manager, Food Production/Production Chef
Discover the Difference You Can Make at Gate Gourmet
Gate Gourmet, a gategroup company, is the world’s largest independent provider of catering and provisioning services for the airline industry. For the past 70 years, we have served over 250 carriers in more than 30 countries. Gate Gourmet combines culinary expertise with the highest standards of food safety and production to deliver delicious, healthy, and affordable meals to over 270 million travelers around the globe.
The position is responsible for supervising thirty plus food production employees in a unionized environment to ensure food specifications, quality assurance of products, sanitation, HACCP and FDA regulations are followed and is responsible for labor and food cost controls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures quality production standards are followed and maintained.
- Ensures employees adhere to HACCP, FDA and safety regulations and compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Trains and monitors employees on proper work procedures to ensure maximum productivity with minimum labor and food expenses.
- Monitors daily manpower planning and employee turnover. Responsible for employee retention.
- Controls food cost and other controllable costs.
- Maintains all financial goals related to productivity, overtime, labor goals and meals per hour.
- Works with management staff to improve performance of the unit.
- Responsible for coaching, counseling and preparing corrective action for employees.
- Assists in the development and training of subordinates as required.
- Prepares administrative reports as required.
- Responsible for safety, quality and compliance with customer specifications.
- Ensures specifications, airline diagrams, and sample meals are accurate according to the airline specifications.
- Ensures that all products are coded and dated according to Gate Gourmet procedures.
- Conducts inventory of products to ensure proper usage and minimization of waste.
- Completes required requisitions for the Storeroom to ensure adequate supply is maintained.
- Responsible for maintaining daily temperature logs and other logs and reports as required.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Associates degree or degree from a 4 year university or college preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience working in a high volume, manufacturing, food production, and restaurant or catering environment required.
- Minimum of 3 years cook or food production or preparation experience required.
- Must have strong and effective leadership skills, and the ability to successfully manage a staff of 30+ hourly employees.
- Current or previous labor relations experience is a plus, but not required.
- Candidate must be comfortable with all levels of employees and have the ability to drive positive program change.
- Ability to train others required.
- Must have the ability to give negative and positive feedback to employees on a daily basis.
- Excellent time management skills required. Ability to handle multiple tasks without losing focus on priorities.
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication and leadership skills required.
- Must be innovative and have the ability to make changes to the operation as needed to further improve the work environment and unit performance.
- Experience with menu design a plus.
- Basic computer skills required. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products preferred.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with management team and staff.
- Regularly, stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during shifts of 10+ hours.
- In a normal production kitchen facility there may be physical discomfort due to temperature and noise.
Demonstrated Competencies to be Successful in the Position:
- Thinking - Information search and analysis, problem resolution skills
- Engaging - understanding others, team leadership, developing people
- Inspiring - influencing and building relationships, motivating and inspiring, communicating effectively
- Achieving - delivering business results under pressure, championing performance improvement, customer focus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.