Bloom Energy, a solid oxide fuel cell company, is looking for a Principal Field Applications Engineer to join its world class team. This individual should be a dynamic professional who is looking for a rewarding future in one of today’s most exciting technologies.
The Field Applications Engineer primarily provides pre-sales technical insight for the development and implementation of distributed generation products and solutions. Use in-depth product knowledge to provide technical expertise to sales staff and the customer through technical sales presentations and custom solutions. Create conceptual designs and implementation specifications for complex solutions to demonstrate feasibility of Bloom’s product.
The Field Applications Engineer must have experience working independently in a competitive sales environment with a focus on eliminating technical barriers and representing a highly technical product or service related to the power industry. The Field Applications Engineer must have a strong understanding of a broad set of engineering and construction solutions and have the ability to manage the internal and external pre-sales solution development process.
Job responsibilities include technical site analysis and conceptual design; interface with City/County/State officials and utilities; sales support; and managing customer relationships. Knowledge of construction, electrical, mechanical, and electro-chemical applications is essential.
Location: This position will be based in Sunnyvale, CA.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for supporting quota attainment in the territory by providing technical support and expertise direct to customers in support of sales objectives.
• Responsible for qualifying installation sites and custom solutions. Produce project specific drawings and documents as needed.
• Technically support the Sales team with Bid and Proposal writing.
• Responsible for providing technical feedback to engineering and product management based on customer feedback and engagement.
• Provide technical response to questions from the installed base in the territory.
• Interface directly with customers and relevant utility to determine technical requirements for fuel cell installation at the customer site.
• Define scope of work during pre-sales process leveraging internal and external resources with conceptual designs to implement electrical, mechanical & civil infrastructure connections between Bloom Energy system, customer site, and utility.
• Educate customers, local authorities, and utilities on basic operation of the fuel cell systems.
• Work with customers, Sales, Field Service, Technical Support and Engineering to create escalation and resolution processes for problems related to customer installations.
• Train Account Managers, Systems Engineers and Field Service Engineers on lessons learned and how to optimize customer solutions.
• Able to travel through sales territory.
Skills and Experience:
• Engineering degree in relevant discipline.
• 7-10+ years relevant experience in power generation, critical power, or fuel cell applications.
• 5+ years in a customer facing/support role preferred.
• Extremely professional in terms of appearance, phone manner, and group presentation skills.
• Proactive and persistent with well-developed analytical skills. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills that include a minimum of the following:
o Ability to communicate complex technical concepts in a clear, concise manner for a non-technical audience.
o Ability to interact with all levels of an organization effectively, from facilities personnel to financial leadership.
o Ability to confidently and clearly defend technical recommendations utilizing sound industry standards and referencing past performance. Self-starter that shows the ability to work independently and under minimal supervision.
• Construction and/or Facility maintenance experience a plus.
• Experience in using Microsoft Office products.
• Knowledge of codes (NEC, NFPA), standards (Rule 21 and other interconnection standards) and regulations (city, state and federal) a plus.
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy will make clean, reliable energy affordable for everyone in the world. Our technology, first developed for NASA's Mars Program, will dramatically change the way that the world’s energy is produced, distributed and consumed. Bloom’s unique on-site power generation systems are among the most efficient on the planet, providing significantly reduced operating costs and producing dramatically lower greenhouse gas emissions. Pioneering a new class of stationary fuel cells, Bloom is not just creating a new product or company; it is driving a whole new industry.
As one of Silicon Valley’s most promising startups, Bloom was the first clean energy technology investment for Kleiner Perkins and NEA, two of Silicon Valley’s most revered venture capital firms. The company has assembled a super-star board, experienced management team, and top-notch technical staff. Bloom Energy is growing quickly and is looking to add to its dynamic team.
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.