SHIFT SUPERVISOR, MANAGER ON DUTY (MOD)
Reports to: Assistant Store Manager and Store Manager
Job Summary and Mission
The Shift Supervisor, guided by the vision, mission, values, and Brand, must ensure that each Guest receives exceptional service and participate in the day-to-day operations of the stores to maximize profits, minimize costs and help meet the company’s financial expectations. Manages sales floor and makes adjustments during the shift to maximize effectiveness of the team and service.
Overall responsibilities include managing and inspiring the team to increase sales and ensure efficiencies, train team members and maintain exceptional standards for Guest service. Preferably, the candidate must have experience working as a manager in a fast paced retail or restaurant environment.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
Accountable for all Team Members exceeding Guests’ expectations, including walk-in and event traffic; supervising Team Members to ensure the quality of service is exhibited through the following characteristics: Sales assertive, friendly, outgoing, dependable, entertaining, intelligent, dedicated, honest, energetic, engaging, fun, enthusiastic, driven, team player, respectful, responsible, interacts well with children, good verbal and listening skills.
- Assist the Assistant Store Manager in managing labor, inventory, and other store costs to maximize store performance and profitability to deliver expected results.
- Builds business by staying close to customer relationships, identifying and testing ideas with customers, and providing meaningful reasons for the Guest to invest in the relationship. Able to provide sales feedback to the Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager and Home Office.
- Translates results-orientation for self and others into actionable tasks, goals, and expected outcomes consistent with the mission of sales standards and performance metric
- Ensures store appearance and inventory is kept to outlined standards
- Spends time coaching and mentoring ACEs in sales best practices.
Offering Responsibility & Accountability:
- Ensure that the store is neat, clean, inspiring and positively reflects the Brand; Respond to and remedy Guest complaints and comments.
- Responsible for delivering above world-class customer service to guests with a customer is always right focus, i.e. the company mission. Mentors and coaches staff to understand and deliver this view of the customer. Holds team members accountable for maintaining the mission and translating that into actionable expectations for their customer interactions at all levels.
- Challenges self and store team members to ensure customer service benchmarks are achieved and adhered to as a standard-operating procedure of the team.
- Models and coaches others on how to build and maintain effective guest relationships.
- Serves as a role model for customer interaction.
- Serves as a role model and sets a positive example for the entire team in all aspects of business and personnel management.
- Follows procedures to maintain the safety and security of all employees, customers and company assets (building, cash, equipment, supplies).
- Alerts the Assistant Store Manager and Store Manager on inventory management and ordering product
- Participates in the maintenance of facility including repairs, pest control, and general store upkeep
- Participates in the maintenance of BOH space and adherence to BOH production standards to deliver expected level of product quality in all experience areas
- Keeps track of staffing levels to make sure the store and daily sales are optimized while ensuring proper guest service.
- Follows all operations processes and ensures staff adherence to all standards.
Vision and Mission Responsibility & Accountability:
Partner with the Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager and COO to ensure vision and mission are accurately and appropriately communicated; Ensure that the team lives the vision and mission; Ensure an environment that supports, teamwork, ethical behavior, and inclusiveness for all team members; Work with National Training Manager and Product Development team to master all new experiences, test proposed methods and fully understand the vision for each experience within the store
Personal Characteristics and Development:
Excellent motivational and leadership skills, focus on Guest service, honest, intelligent, results driven, foster open communication, excellent verbal, listening and written communication skills, excellent with children; Serve as a role model for others by modeling teamwork, professionalism, poise and composure; Possess a positive, solution-minded attitude and be willing to step into a myriad of roles as needed; Foster open environment thru idea sharing and active listening, resulting in positive employee relations; Ensure store team meets all training targets and goals
Assist in training all team members at all levels; help communicate the rollout and integration of all new policies and store procedures, experiences, and offerings.
- 1 + years of experience working as a manager in a fast paced leisure entertainment, retail, service or restaurant environment
- Prior experience developing front of house staff for retail, service, events or hospitality business
- Must possess potential for development as an Assistant Store Manager or equivalent role with Make Meaning
- Must be proficient in store plans, store/facilities maintenance, inventory management and driving sales with on-site team
- Must have demonstrated success providing world class customer service
- Proficient in implementing and enforcing policies & procedures
- Prior experience in vendor management preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft-Word, Excel, and navigating Point of Sale Systems
- Available to work all weekends, holidays and high volume days
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Be ready to hit the sales floor fully prepared to serve and sell at the time her/his shift begins.
- Check in with the Store Manager before she/he steps on the sales floor
- Review the daily FOH sales goals, specials and events with the Team Members
- Check the Make Meaning Calendar Board for any company or legal updates on policies, people, processes or technology
- Notify the Assistant Store Manager or Store Manager when stepping away from her/his assigned zone
- Check in for another pre-shift when returning to the sales floor from a break
- Engage guests regularly and helpfully
- Always practice S.M.I.L.E.S principles
Action oriented: Full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others
Approachability: Spends the extra effort to put parents at ease; can be warm, pleasant and gracious; builds rapport well; good listener; sensitive and patient with interpersonal anxieties of others.
Composure: Cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; not knocked off balance by the unexpected; does not show frustration when resisted or blocked.
Customer Focus: Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of external customers; acts with the customer in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their respect; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in service
Interpersonal Savvy: Builds appropriate rapport; uses diplomacy and tact; relates well to all kinds of people; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably
Learning on the Fly: Learns quickly when facing new problems; relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge and unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything
Listening: Has the patience to hear people out; practices attentive and active listening; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees
Organizing: Can marshal resources (people, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information in a useful manner
Patience: Is tolerant with people and processes; listens and checks before acting; tries to understand the people and the data before making judgments and acting
Time Management: Values time; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities; uses his/her time effectively and efficiently
Presentation Skills: Commands attention and can manage group process during the presentation; can change tactics midstream when something isn’t working; energetic style that is adjusted to varying audiences.
Problem Solving: Can see hidden problems; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers; excellent at honest analysis
All Make Meaning Job Descriptions are confidential and proprietary.
Job Description Effective Date: 7/9/2013