MAKE YOUR MARK WHILE YOU GROW YOUR CAREER
At Canadian Natural we believe our employees are the key to unlocking asset potential. As one of the largest independent crude oil and natural gas producers in the world, our balanced asset mix creates opportunity for people who want to be part of a challenging and competitive industry. Join our team as we create value through innovation.
Horizon Oil Sands
Horizon Oil Sands is a world class asset offering countless opportunities to advance your career. Comprised of surface oil sands mining and bitumen upgrading facilities, this vast project offers challenging opportunities in an environment where teamwork, innovation, and your expertise are valued. Apply your abilities using industry leading technologies and contribute to the success of the Horizon Oil Sands.
COMPETITIVE SALARY - STOCK OPTIONS - STOCK SAVINGS PLAN - ANNUAL BONUSES - BENEFITS - RELOCATION
To support the growth of Canadian Natural's Horizon Oil Sands, this position may be assigned or require business travel to various contractor workplaces or to the Horizon Oil Sands site during project phases for extended periods.
The Cost Engineer is an integral part of growth strategy and will be responsible for developing the overall cost budget and will be monitoring and controlling all project cost developments and deviations to ensure the project cost objectives are aligned with the overall project objectives. Utilizing their expertise, the Cost Engineer will have the opportunity to:
• Supervise and provide technical direction for all cost activities of Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contractors
• Develop and maintain cost control budgets, ensuring costs remain updated and in line with wider project objectives
• Provide independent forecast completion costs based on trends including:
o Productivity measurement earned value
o Labour rate analysis
o Change management
o Schedule impacts and material cost variances
• Ensure proactive use of Canadian Natural resources to establish and maintain the project cost systems from engineering through to construction phases of the project
HOW WILL YOU MAKE YOUR MARK?
Contribute your project cost control experience to a multi-phase plant expansion, developing your career in the following areas:
• Participate in establishing and maintaining the various Project Control tools that Canadian Natural employs, such as Master Schedules, CPM networks, progress measurement, cost engineering reporting and cost forecasting systems
• Lead the preparation and maintenance of the Cost Systems and various cost exercises for the project
• Consolidate project information and provide monthly reporting
• Monitor, review and analyze all costs and statuses of contractor work during all phases of the project including analysis of any deviations and corrective plans
• Review contractor cost and cost flow reports and ensure contractor plans are realistic and achievable
• Analyze progress, manpower and performance information to support effective project management
• Lead in developing specific project codes of accounts and recommend appropriate modifications and revisions
• Work in close cooperation with Project Manager, Team Leads, and Cost Engineers ensuring:
o Proactive direction is given to the contractor
o Reporting of deviations proactively to affected stakeholder
Temporary Assignment Details
Location: Horizon Oil Sands site 70 km outside of Fort McMurray, Alberta
When: Timeline to be determined based on business needs
Duration: Timeline to be determined based on business needs
Shift Schedule: Typically 4 days on/3 days off (Monday - Thursday) for 10 hours per day
Accommodations: Eligible for Fly In/Fly Out program from Calgary or Edmonton with company provided accommodations on site
• Typically 10+ years of related industry experience with engineering degree or other technical designation
• Familiarity with and understanding of:
o Project Cost Controls, estimating, budgeting, analysis, and forecasting
o Industry specific applications (ie. Primavera P3ec, Prism) and in the MS Office Suite (Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint)
o Project/Business Management Principles and Concepts
o Including identification of feasible/logical solutions in the absence of procedures or limited guidelines
o Database experience and knowledge
HEALTH AND SAFETY:
At Canadian Natural, safety is a core value. We conduct all of our operations in a way that identifies, minimizes and mitigates harm to the health and safety of employees, contractors, the public and the environment.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Canadian Natural Resources Limited - CNRL - is a publicly traded company on the TSX and NYSE as CNQ.