MAKE YOUR MARK WHILE YOU GROW YOUR CAREER
At Canadian Natural we believe our employees are the key to unlocking asset potential. As one of the largest independent crude oil and natural gas producers in the world, our balanced asset mix creates opportunity for people who want to be part of a challenging and competitive industry. Join our team as we create value through innovation.
Horizon Oil Sands
Horizon Oil Sands is a world class asset offering countless opportunities to advance your career. Comprised of surface oil sands mining and bitumen upgrading facilities, this vast project offers challenging opportunities in an environment where teamwork, innovation, and your expertise are valued. Apply your abilities using industry leading technologies and contribute to the success of the Horizon Oil Sands.
COMPETITIVE SALARY - STOCK OPTIONS - STOCK SAVINGS PLAN - ANNUAL BONUSES - BENEFITS - LOCATION PREMIUMS -RELOCATION - FLY IN/FLY OUT AND CAMP PROGRAM!
Visit www.cnrl-careers.com to learn more about our Total Rewards Package and much more!
This position is based in Fort McMurray, Alberta and is eligible for:
• Relocation to Calgary or Fort McMurray
• Company Sponsored Fly-In/Fly-Out and Accommodations Program with charter flights from Calgary or Edmonton
Our Horizon Oil Sands operation is expanding with project spending forecasted at approximately $2 - 2.5 billion each year for the next several years.
Help us to minimize our environmental impact as part of our Tailings Engineering team. Our aim is to pioneer cutting edge technologies to reduce our tailings output and increase our ability to reclaim tailings materials. The innovation of our Engineers in this area enables us to increase the sustainability of our Horizon Oil Sands operation while working to maintain our compliance within the complex regulatory landscape that exists in this area.
The Tailings Engineering Manager will provide leadership and management to develop and implement tailings plans so that corporate and social requirements for managing tailings facilities are achieved in an environmentally responsible and cost-effective manner with acceptably low risk levels to both Canadian Natural and external stakeholders.
• Provide direction so that Horizon tailings facilities are operated cost-effectively and in compliance with corporate standards, all applicable regulations and the standard of good practice for the industry.
• Act as a senior technical resource on behalf of Canadian Natural Resources for initiatives to improve tailings management technology that is undertaken by both Canadian Natural and the Oil Sands Industry
• Manage and provide technical resources for compliance and dialogue related to tailing regulatory requirements at Horizon Oil Sands
Utilize your combination of technical and management expertise to develop strategy and spearhead activity across your team:
• Oversee and direct hiring activity, training and development and performance management across team
• Spearhead team activity and delegate and distribute workload to align activity with wider business objectives
• Ensure budgetary and scheduling targets are met
• Develop broader outlook and longer-term strategy
• Ensure compliance with all regulatory issues related to business area
• Lead and promote safety culture and safe operations within business area
HOW WILL YOU MAKE YOUR MARK?
• Set objectives and manage completion of Tailings Plans for long range (10-year to life of mine), medium range (18-months), and short range (8-weeks) plans, providing data, strategy, and tactics that address:
• Identification of base case tailings processes and technology development requirements as necessary to reduce costs, improve performance, and provide alternatives for risk mitigation
• Mass balance for tailings and water including fluid fines and recycle water inventory projections
• Tailings Placement Schedule and Capping Plan to support practical operations and timely reclamation
• Budget and schedule requirements for tailings operations throughout operation and closure to support on-going operation, annual budgeting, long range planning, reclamation and closure planning, and Asset Retirement Obligation estimates
• Identification of key performance indicators related to cost, regulatory compliance, and environmental stewardship and establishment of a program to monitor performance so that performance shortfalls are quickly identified and addressed.
• Risk Assessment and Mitigation
• Identify needs and set priorities for technical development required by Bitumen Production to meet objectives for tailings management
• Set objectives and manage monitoring and reporting of tailings operations both for continuous improvement and as required for regulatory compliance, including
• Annual Tailings Management Plan to the ERCB (Energy Resources Conservation Board)
• Annual compliance report to the ERCB, and
• DDA (dedicated disposal area) design reports as required by the ERCB
• Represent Horizon Bitumen Production on the COSIA (Canadian Oil Sands Innovation Alliance) Tailings EPA (Environmental Priority Area) and related industry collaboration efforts. Inform management of issues and actions being considered by industry, and recommend action consistent with Canadian Natural’s interests and policies
• Participate on the Steering Sub-committee for the Site Wide Water Committee so that Bitumen Production’s issues and requirements for process water management are balanced with other water management objectives at Horizon. Act as chair for the Technical Sub-committee when appointed
• Manage development of practices and procedures to comply with Horizon Policies and Procedures, Mining Association of Canada Tailings Management Guidelines and APEGA (Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta) requirements for professional practice
• Identify training needs, develop, implement, and document training plans and mentor staff so that tailings planning personnel are competent to fulfill their roles in planning and monitoring the tailings facility, including health, safety, and environmental aspects
• Communicate performance issues, emergency actions, regulatory compliance reporting, and the closure plan for tailings facilities to internal stakeholders. Support external communication when required
• Implement specific processes or procedures that comply with Corporate Health and Safety Polices and regulatory requirements. Arrange regular audits of the safety program
• Typically 10+ years of related managerial industry experience with Engineering Degree
• Registration or eligibility for registration with APEGA
• Familiarity with and understanding of:
o Tailings facilities including tailings basin operation and closure, water management, slurry pumping, tailings deposition, and technology for managing fluid fines
o Decision analyses, continuous improvement, problem identification and solving, and risk management
o Regulations applicable to management and closure of oil sands tailings facilities
o Effectively leading a technical team
o Establishing scope and budget and managing work by external consultants
o Communicating effectively and building relationships across all levels of a business
HEALTH AND SAFETY:
At Canadian Natural, safety is a core value. We conduct all of our operations in a way that identifies, minimizes and mitigates harm to the health and safety of employees, contractors, the public and the environment.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To see related Mining Engineering roles at CNRL, visit: www.cnrl-careers.com/jobs/Engineering-Mining
Canadian Natural Resources Limited - CNRL - is a publicly traded company on the TSX and NYSE as CNQ.