Title: Admissions & Outreach Coordinator
Office: Year Up Bay Area
Location: San Jose, CA
Reporting to the Manager of Admissions & Outreach, the Admissions & Outreach Coordinator will be instrumental in helping the admissions team hit its goals of: recruiting a diverse pool of applicants, evaluating the motivation and academic readiness of prospective students, and ultimately selecting students for Year Up Bay Area’s Silicon Valley campus. Working collaboratively with a strong staff team on a variety of site-based projects, the Admissions & Outreach Coordinator will help design and manage new processes for the recruitment, evaluation, and selection of Year Up students. In order to effectively build capacity in these areas and understand the daily operations of the function, s/he will conduct several interviews with prospective students and assess their readiness.
The Admissions & Outreach Coordinator will also interact with students as an advisor and staff team member, participating in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment.
- Conduct one-on-one interviews with prospective students as part of the Admissions process
- Facilitate group info sessions/learning assessments/group interviews for prospective students
- Provide excellent customer service to every prospective student via phone and in person
- Design and produce regular reports in Excel and Salesforce.com to track, document, and measure progress
- Build and maintain relationships with local high schools, community-based organizations and other groups that work with urban young adults from a full range of communities and identify productive avenues to support recruitment of future students
- Conduct or attend community meetings, events and activities; engage with community leaders
- Build awareness of the Year Up program in the community, including cultivating relationships with organizations able to provide internship opportunities
- Ensure proper usage of Year Up database (Salesforce.com) and systems to ensure the most efficient storage of information and utilization of data
- Coordinate data entry (prospective interest forms, interviews, all admissions related documents, completed applications, enrollment support & follow up) into Salesforce and other data collection tools
- Become an expert on report generation and usage to inform improvements to the Admission process and selection criteria
- Ensure data integrity for all Admissions related contacts and accounts
- Participate actively as a member of the Admissions team, contributing ideas and recommendations for improving processes based on your work in the above areas
- Serve as a staff member and group facilitator of a learning community (40 students, 10 staff); serve as an advisor to 2-5 students per cycle, participate in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment with trust among students, faculty and staff
- Contribute to the entire team by helping other Year Up staff members or departments when needed
- Present with a consistently positive and can-do attitude, which is essential to success in our movement to close to the Opportunity Divide
- Bachelor’s degree or Year Up graduation certificate required
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills
- Sophisticated personal networking and relationship building skills
- High level of professionalism and resourcefulness – the ability to work independently and as a team player
- Ability to take initiative and proactively manage multiple tasks, relationships, and projects at one time
- Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent communication, organization, attention to detail, and time management skills
- Experience and comfort in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Sound judgment, maturity, and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion
- Flexibility, creativity, and willingness to learn and work on different tasks as needed
- Motivated, detail-oriented go-getter interested in education and/or social enterprise
- Interest and/or experience working with diverse populations
- A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
- Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
- Benefits: Competitive package including 100% healthcare coverage, dental, and 401(k) match
- Vacation: Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year
- Professional development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives
Year Up is an award-winning national 501(c)3 organization striving to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Through a one-year intensive training program, Year Up provides urban young adults ages 18-24 with a unique combination of hands-on technical and professional skills, college credit, and corporate internships.
With an annual operating budget of $70 million, Year Up will serve over 2,100 students in 2014 nationwide, with sites in: Atlanta, Boston, Bay Area (San Francisco and Silicon Valley), New York, Providence, Puget Sound (Seattle), National Capital Region (Washington DC) and Chicago, with Year Up Professional Training Corps (PTC) sites located in Miami, Baltimore and Philadelphia.
Voted one of the Best NonProfits to Work For in the country by the NonProfit Times, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Our staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and committed to positive change and continuous learning. We set high standards for both ourselves and our students, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young people. The work we do is life-changing, and we know that our team is the greatest asset in achieving our mission.
Please visit http://www.yearup.org/careers to learn more about working at Year Up, and to see a list of current opportunities.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume through our website.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We respectfully request no phone calls.