Location: Washington, DC
Education: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or related experience
Experience Required: 5+ years of related experience
Citizenship Requirements: U.S. Citizenship required
Additional Requirements: All applicants must submit to a background investigation application and must be able to successfully complete a public trust background investigation.
Enforcing and administering United States (US) immigration laws through US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) business transformation is one of the priority goals of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). In its current state, USCIS relies largely on the movement of paper to deliver immigration benefits and services. In the future, USCIS will utilize a paperless electronic system that will transform nearly all of the Agency's processes.
The U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) Office of Information Technology (OIT) is seeking services for defining, managing and overseeing architecture and design for USCIS systems, establishing engineering standards, e.g. design and coding, and verifying instantiations thereof.
The requirement is needed by USCIS to enhance its capability of being responsible for the component’s systems architecture and design under government baseline control for the following benefits:
- Allow USCIS to coordinate the work of different development contractors and teams by ensuring that they are all following the same standards.
- Allow USCIS to increase quality and productivity in the systems engineering lifecycle processes.
- Ensure a consistent approach, e.g. architecture and design, across the entire enterprise taking advantage of synergies that can also increase productivity and quality.
- Help control costs and define architecture for required Information
- Technology(IT) capabilities to support mission needs
- Help OIT explore and deploy innovative solutions as they evolve in public and private sector to meet our mission needs.
The Agile Architecture and Design Service(AADS) project is responsible for assisting USCIS with the definition and governance over the architecture and design of all USCIS systems, standardizing USCIS systems architecture; reducing the cost of future development; fulfilling the mandate of the Federal Chief Information Officer`s (CIO) 25-point plan; simplifying the architecture, creating a flexible, nimble code development capacity; and adopting an agile methodology.
T-Rex Corporation is seeking a self-motivated individual with industry experience and a high degree of technical capabilities to support the AADS program. The position will assist with designing and documenting complex solutions that performance, scalability and availability across a wide range of applications. The Solutions Architect works closely with the development teams; product owner and other stakeholders to define manage and oversee architecture for various systems within the customer enterprise. The candidate must have excellent leadership and communication (written/presentation) skills.
- Previous experience strategizing and defining the most suited architecture based on the required capabilities
- Agile delivery principles
- Experience defining architectural standards and developing governing models for development teams
- Previous experience collaborating and providing guidance to development teams in evolution of scalable and most suited architecture/technologies for their implementation
- Minimum of five (5) years demonstrated hands –on experience and deep understanding of multiple architectural relevant concepts and technologies to include one or more of the following:
- Workflow, case management
- Rules Management
- Complex Event Processing
- Records Management
- Content Management
- Document Transformation
- Databases including No SQL
- Predictive Analytics
- Customer Contact Center Capability (CRM tools and telephony)
- Java Spring Framework
- Ruby on Rails
- Continuous Integration
- Rich Internet Experience
- Data Architecture
- Mobile Development
- Big Data
- Hands on experience of delivering complex IT solutions involving:
- Spring-Centric Java solutions (MVC, Data, Security, AOP, and Batch)
- Enterprise Content Management / Digitization (FileNet, Documentum, Al Fresco)
- Business Process Management (BPMN, BPEL)
- Business Rule Management (DROOLS, ILog,)
- Service Oriented Architecture (TIBCO, Mule ESB)
- Customer Relationship Management (SalesForce, Siebel)
- Excellent Written and Presentation Skills
- In-depth, articulate knowledge of:
- Object Oriented Analysis and Design
- Design Patterns
- Capacity Planning for High Availability: Application Servers, ESB, and Database
- Continuous Integration
- Test Automation
- Experience with analytical methods to support:
- Functional Decomposition
- Gap Analysis
- Market Research
- Activity Based Costing
- Roadmap development
- Deep understanding of current USCIS architectural ecosystem for various programs, processes and business needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development and documenting of architectural guidelines and frameworks. These frameworks will be used by system developers in the Agency to identify ideal architectures for their systems while ensuring alignment with the identified USCIS architectural framework.
- Assist in development of standards that can be applied to the design and development of current USCIS systems and ultimately be adopted for all future system architecture and development projects.
- Work with team to ensure solutions are aligned with DHS and USCIS organizational policies, standards, and guidelines as well as industry best practices.
- Assist with specifying design patterns as relevant to Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Middleware Architecture and Application Architecture.
- Guide and promote (re)use of applications to improve efficiencies.
- Conduct code review and provide comments.
- Engage with USCIS development teams to discuss architecture and design as it applies to legacy and new USCIS applications.
- Identify, communicate, and mitigate potential risks or architectural gaps that will ultimately help management for decision making.
- Participation in Agile teams as architectural SME to remove all architectural impediments by leading the research spikes and/or clearing the architectural runway.
- Identify and document USCIS architecture, and design and coding standards to simplify and standardize the architecture and design of the USCIS systems.
- Assess implementation of architecture and revise where necessary to adapt to technological and/or structural advancements.
- Provide guidance and recommendations to development teams in implementation of future and current architecture. This may include providing written guidance, pair programming, code sample, reference implementations, etc.
- Develop software code and maintain developed code for common utilities usable across the enterprise (e.g. handling/exception handling, gathering and packaging data at the application level for audit requirements, encryption code, etc.). Support the development team to integrate utilities with various systems.
- Validate adherence to candidate architecture as implemented by USCIS development teams and make recommendations for needed adjustments.
- Continuous exploration for innovative solutions from the industry for meeting USCIS mission needs.
- Continuous collaboration cooperation, and communication with other stakeholders including (but not limited to) business, development teams, quality assurance, other contractors hired by DHS, and infrastructure for the purpose of system delivery .\
About T-Rex Corporation:
T-Rex Corporation (http://www.trexcorporation.com) is a HUBZone certified leading business in the Federal Information Technology Sector delivering Program Management and Information Technology solutions every day to satisfied clients. We partner with our clients to meet the mission and overcome challenges and our staff are well qualified engineers, specialists and managers experienced at meeting and exceeding our leadership and technology commitments.
At the heart of T-Rex, we are problem solvers offering innovation, quality and world class service in the following areas:
- Program Management and Performance Excellence
- Full Lifecycle COTS/Application/Systems Engineering
- Document Management Solution Engineering
- End User Support
- Document Conversion and Data Capture Outsourcing
T-Rex is constantly seeking qualified people to join our growing team. We have built a broad client base through our devotion to delivering quality products and customer service, and to do that we need quality individuals. But more than that, we at T-Rex are committed to creating a culture that supports the development of every employee's personal and professional lives. T-Rex has made a commitment to maintain the status of an industry leader in compensation packages and benefits which includes competitive salaries, performance bonuses, training and educational reimbursement, Fidelity 401(k) and United Healthcare benefits.
T-Rex is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status.