Intern - Product Support Engineer
Department: EU Service Engineering
Location: Tilburg/Netherlands – with travel
Duration: 6-12 Months – September 2014
Tesla’s goal is to accelerate the world’s transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Model S is the world’s first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Model S was named Motor Trend’s prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA, and Consumer Reports is calling it the best car it has ever tested.
Our rapid expansion across Europe means our demand for high caliber talent is ever increasing. As such, we now have a need to take on a small number of interns across our European Business. Our internship is like no other in that you will take on real responsibility from day one and there really are no limits to what you can achieve. We foster an environment in which anyone can make changes, take on projects and truly make a difference to business success. But, you need to be the sort of person who can make things happen for yourself, you will not have your hand held within Tesla; so if this is you then you are the person for us. We need self-starting interns who can make their own way within some challenging and ever changing business environments.
Tesla Motors is seeking an intern to be a part of the European Service Engineering department. This role in Service Engineering will be based out of our Tilburg, Netherlands facility and is a key connection point between our design, development, and production teams in California and our technicians and service centers worldwide. Field Support Engineers are responsible for the data collection and analysis of issues from every system on the vehicle, they must cooperate with many different departments to collect the necessary information and form the diagnosis steps to resolve each unique issue. This person must have a strong technical background in one or more systems unique to electric vehicle architecture as they will be actively engaged in understanding problems and developing solutions. This person must learn quickly and work well in a small agile team; they must also be able to easily make connections within the worldwide Tesla organization to allow for quick and effective communications of diagnosis and troubleshooting steps to all parties involved.
Responsibilities in this role may include but are not limited to:
- Monitor issues database and respond to cases relating to field of specialty, working remotely with technicians on site to troubleshoot the issue.
- Occasional required travel to service centers for hands on testing and data collection alongside technicians.
- Analyze data in excel and recognize trends and variations across European vehicle fleet.
- Compile and present field issues in an easily displayed and understood format to design engineering in California.
- Compile and present diagnosis steps and solutions in an easily displayed and understood format to service technicians in the field.
- Work with Senior/Field Support Engineers to assist their projects and deliverables.
- Interns may join us from a number of backgrounds and specialize in one of the following fields:
- Infotainment Intern: Experience with various programming languages, automotive firmware experience is a plus.
- Charging Intern: Experience with EU Electrical grids and EV charging infrastructure, Norwegian grid experience a plus.
- Powertrain Intern: Experience with control & monitoring strategies of HV battery systems and electric motor drivetrains, mechanical knowledge a plus.
- Autonomous drive Intern: Experience with driverless guidance systems, university autonomous vehicle programs preferred.
- Must be currently studying a degree, ideally to Masters level, in a relevant engineering topic.
- You will be able to take on an internship for at least 6 months.
- You will have strong communications skills and be able to operate in a collaborative team environment.
- Willing to travel with little notice, and on occasion work unpredictable hours
- Eager to learn new systems and actively pursue knowledge with little to no influence from superiors.
- Able to manage and prioritize workload.
- Flexible hours given that prompt responses and attention are always given to priority issues.
- Fluency in English is required, and other European languages will be considered beneficial.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, colour, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law. An EU passport or work permit is required for this position.