Tesla’s goal is to accelerate the world’s transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered over 15,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries. Model S is the world’s first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Model S was named Motor Trend’s prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA, and Consumer Reports is calling it the best car it has ever tested.
Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing top talent from across the world for any given discipline. Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure, and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone, you must have a genuine passion for producing the best vehicles in the world. Without passion, you will find what we're trying to do too difficult.
The Studio Design Engineer is responsible for designing, developing, and delivering prototype level components and systems for the Tesla Model S program as well as TBD future Tesla product programs.
This position requires frequent interaction with the vehicle engineering team and design team using input from Interior, Exterior, BIW and Closures.
The successful candidate must have the ability to meet tight deadlines, have strong interpersonal and communication skills, be detail oriented, and have the ability to work independently. He/she must establish and maintain a professional working relationship with external and internal teams at all levels across the company. Typical job duties may include but are not limited to the following, Conceptualize Design, Release, Develop assigned components/systems, including:
- Create and develop component and system requirements and specifications.
- Create vehicle-aligned component and system targets for function, cost, weight and investment.
- Establish system architecture and functional feasibility.
- Support creation of component specification, component DFMEA, and other technical design documents.
- Work with the Design Studio and Vehicle engineering team to resolve feasibility issues.
- Develop parametric design concepts and production designs in CATIA V5.
- Optimize the concepts and designs with analytical and physical assessments.
- Ensure product conforms to all market regulations governing assigned systems.
- Interface with suppliers for manufacturing feasibility, validation, and other engineering activities as specified for the assigned commodity. Note that in most cases, Tesla Vehicle Engineering will design commodities for the Model S in-house.
- Deliver designs and other program deliverables on time and within budget.
- Ensure designs are compatible with the assembly process and are serviceable.
- Support vehicle milestones including prototype, pre-production, and production build events.
- Deliver world-class craftsmanship and fit/finish and launch the product successfully.
- Bachelor of Science or higher in mechanical engineering.
- Four years minimum experience in design and engineering - specific system experience required.
- Proficiency in CATIA V5 using parametric elements and knowledge based engineering tools.
- Understanding of GD&T.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs.
- Ability to interpret CAE results and integrate recommendations into product designs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects with tight timing constraints.
- Prior experience with low volume (10-25k units/year) production preferred.
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and lightweight, recyclable and sustainable materials.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.