Tesla Motors is a fast-moving and constantly-innovating young company in the San Francisco Bay Area. We design and manufacture advanced electric vehicles, battery packs, and drive systems that are changing the future of transportation. We are building technically strong, fast-moving teams that pride themselves on superior execution.
Tesla Motors designs and sells high-performance, highly efficient electric sports cars. Our cars combine style, acceleration, and handling with advanced technologies that make them among the quickest and the most energy efficient cars on the road.
Job Title: Sr. Project Engineer, Material Flow Engineering
The Sr. Project Engineer for Material Flow Engineering will be responsible for designing, engineering, and implementing new technologies, including software and robotics, for quick and efficient flow of parts from dock to warehouse to assembly line. These technologies will initially be planned and implemented at the Tesla Fremont factory, and will eventually be implemented in all factories built by Tesla globally. The primary objectives of the Material Flow Engineering team will be to reduce overall vehicle build cycle time, optimize space, improve labor productivity, and create a more ergonomic work environment for Tesla employees. This position will report to the Director of Material Flow Engineering.
- Design, develop, and implement solutions for dramatically improving material flows through the factory using Lean Principles. The design includes material arrival at docks through delivery to line-side locations. The focus will be on developing innovative new solutions for manufacturing that leverage automated systems. Targeted goals include:
- Dramatic reduction in material handling waste
- Improvement in labor efficiency
- Optimized space utilization
- High accuracy part selection
- Concept development, prototype testing, engineering design, and collaboration with 3rd parties on system build, integration testing, implementation, and handoff to operations at Tesla factory locations worldwide
- Support advanced trouble-shooting and improvement of existing material flow systems that are beyond the scope of the maintenance team
- Bachelors degree in Industrial Engineering (MS preferred)
- 8+ years of material flow management experience preferred; manufacturing, supply chain and/or logistics experience desirable.
- Working knowledge of material flow and manufacturing systems
- In-depth knowledge of material flow methodologies: sequencing, kitting, repack, etc
- Understanding of lean manufacturing concepts
- Ability to lead kaizen efforts and solve problems
- Strong analytical and organizational skills. Ability to manage several complex projects at the same time.
- Communicates effectively at all organizational levels, both orally and in writing.
Tesla is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.