Tesla’s goal is to accelerate the world’s transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered over 15,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries. Model S is the world’s first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Model S was named Motor Trend’s prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA, and Consumer Reports is calling it the best car it has ever tested.
Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing top talent from across the world for any given discipline. Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure, and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone, you must have a genuine passion for producing the best vehicles in the world. Without passion, you will find what we're trying to do too difficult.
We are looking for a highly skilled and motivated Senior Purchasing Specialist to support our teams. This role will report to our Purchasing Manager, Indirect Sales & Service Operation and in parallel to be an active sourcing resource supporting worldwide service equipment & tooling operation. The Senior Purchasing Specialist builds and leverages strong working relationships with our project teams and key suppliers to assure cost, quality, and delivery targets are met. They work toward good supplier relationships and total costs of ownership to achieve maximum advantage for Tesla and our customers. Tesla is a fast moving, dynamic environment where flexibility and adaptability are key attributes needed for success. The successful candidate will be a self-starter; motivated with expert overall Sourcing Expertise and the ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge with automotive equipment, Electronics, Accessories, Supplies and Contract Manufactures experience.
- Responsible for the building and maintaining commercial and contractual relationship with suppliers
- Owner of RFI's, RFP's and RFQ's - ensuring all commercial terms are agreed and documented.
- Ensures NDA, SOW's and Master Purchase Agreement are positioned appropriately before business is initiated.
- Drive price negotiations processes to ensure that Tesla’s component pricing are best in class.
- Drive continual cost reduction and avoidance initiatives through ad hoc price negotiations.
- Drive supply base consolidation where possible.
- Monitor and identify supply/demand challenges & opportunities.
- Analyze current spend and evaluate current suppliers. Consolidate spend across supply base to create leverage, analyze purchasing trends and develop sourcing alternatives. Identify new high potential suppliers on global basis.
- Manage respective supplier relationships and performance, including but not limited to dispute resolution.
- Develop key performance measures for chosen suppliers and negotiate on multiple variables to award longer-term strategic contracts that result in significant cost reduction and improved service levels.
- Develop spend strategies, identify potential suppliers, analyze supplier capabilities, select suppliers and determine prices, terms, and conditions of agreements.
- Lead the vendor selection process with engineering or project teams.
- Work collaboratively with other purchasing specialist, project manager, service managers, warehouse managers, and purchasing managers.
- Identify supplier consolidation opportunities that will generate savings from executing strategic sourcing projects.
- Evaluate supplier business proposals and present recommendations that will result in cost savings, avoidance or containment.
- Develop sourcing and negotiation strategies that deliver against business objectives and achieve sustainable relationships with suppliers.
- Create competitive environments with suppliers to support a negotiation strategy.
- Evaluate and provide guidance on final selection of suppliers; Perform value analysis for final selection of suppliers.
- Evaluate supplier core competencies and competitive positioning using industry cost models.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, ME, EE or equivalent experience required
- 5 to 10 years’ related experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in meeting cost savings, avoidance, and containment goals; source-to-payment process experience; strategic sourcing experience.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in an extremely fast-paced environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
- Multi-lingual to support European and Asia operation is a plus.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.