Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
As a member of the Powertrain architecture and controls team, you will model, design, implement, test and benchmark the motor controls of current and future Tesla traction motor drives.
- Help define requirements for motor control software and interfacing hardware components including voltage and current sensors, power stages, speed sensors
- Understand, drive design of, and implement motor controller functionality, behaviors, and algorithms
- Develop, test, and validate motor control algorithms in the laboratory and in-vehicle
- Maintain awareness of and influence research and development in key component technologies that influence future inverter / motor designs and motor control
- Advance Tesla Motors intellectual property in electric motor design and motor controls
- In-depth understanding of torque control techniques such as slip-based control, field oriented control, direct torque control
- Prior experience with flux estimation methods, 3-phase power control, analytical control system theory development and analysis
- Experience with various PWM schemes such as space vector, discontinuous, and sinusoidal modulation, including data-acquisition methods
- Capability of delivering high-quality C code in an embedded microcontroller environment
- Strong communication and preference for working in teams
- System-oriented understanding of thermal, vehicle-level torque control, high voltage DC-link integration, efficiency optimization, and firmware integration for electric drives
- Model development and data analysis in Matlab/Simulink
- Greater than 3 years of experience in implementation of controls in traction motor or other inverter-fed drives
- BS/MS/PhD in EE/ME/Physics or equivalent
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.