Product Marketing Manager
Working side-by-side with our clients, Blackboard is pioneering e-Education across the globe. Our academic and administrative suites of products – targeted to primary and secondary schools, higher education, corporate and government markets – deliver on the promise of the internet for online teaching and learning, campus communities, campus commerce and security services, and the integration of Web-enabled student services and back office systems.
Blackboard Transact (www.blackboard.com/transact) is a market leader in integrated campus card point-of-sale and security solutions. The Transact electronic “one card” product suite is used across the US in hundreds of colleges and university to increase student convenience, provide cashless purchasing both on and off campus, and create a safer, more secure campus environment. The Product Marketing Manager position is responsible for optimizing sales results through development of key product messages, collateral materials, marketing programs, lead generation campaigns, and follow-up activities related to the Blackboard Transact Security & Access Control product suite.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
- Build a level of market and industry expertise related to the “one-card” electronic credential market, specifically relative to security and access control solutions, including understanding the competitive landscape, buying personas, key benefits, and industry trends
- Develop overarching product messaging that outlines the tangible value proposition of the Blackboard Transact product suite, with benefits aligned to specific target audience needs, objectives and issues
- Create and/or collaborate on targeted marketing programs that drive increased add-on sales to current clients or acquire new client through compelling offers aligned to specific buying audiences, business cycles, market and industry developments, and organizational revenue objectives
- Assist in reviewing and editing materials developed by other marketing team members, to ensure that high-quality, relevant marketing content is available to support sales efforts across the U.S. and Canada
- Create/update customer case studies and testimonials, as appropriate, documenting the value proposition of Blackboard Transact’s product lines
- Work with outside agencies and individuals on specific promotional projects, as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with other marketing team members to ensure that cross-functional communications enable information-sharing across all team members
- Work with other functional departments, including vertical marketing, sales, product management, engineering, training, customer relations, and customer retention to ensure that cross-functional communications between various stakeholders are timely and effective
- Create success metrics for marketing activities and follow-up to ensure that desired results are obtained or that corrective action plans are executed
- Manage marketing activities to approved budget targets
- Become conversant with Internet marketing concepts that are relevant to the position, including SEO techniques, e-mail marketing best practices, landing page design, social media and other web marketing techniques, and apply best practices from those areas to projects
- Create and regularly update price lists, brochures, handouts, and other marketing collateral
- Regularly research and keep up with industry news and relay that news to the sales force, and other key organization stakeholders
- Complete and maintain competitive intelligence and disseminate information to the organization, as appropriate
- Other marketing and sales-related projects, as assigned by marketing management
- Experience in product marketing for a highly technical product line is very desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years in related employment, such as product marketing or digital marketing.
- Solid computer skills and proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet development
- Knowledge of marketing automation products, such as Silverpop, Eloqua or Marketo, strongly desired
- Knowledge of education funding programs, public sector purchasing processes, and competitive procurement processes is desirable
- Strong communication, collaboration, organizational, and interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Ability to plan, set goals and objectives and then organize and follow through
- Ability to work in a high-velocity environment and demonstrate strong multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner, escalating questions and issues to management when appropriate
- Demonstrate good common sense and effective problem-solving skills
- Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and oral. Writing samples will be requested
- Limited travel may be required, not to exceed 25% per month.