Job Title: Home Energy Advisor
Reports To: Field Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: 85% Field-based throughout Greater Boston area/ 15% Boston Office
Come join a fast-paced, ever-evolving growth environment. Successful candidates will be responsible for comprehensive and precise residential home energy assessments in accordance with the standards in the Massachusetts Residential Conservation Services Program and Next Step Living practices. They will educate home owners in energy efficiency practices – both basic weatherization improvements as well as deeper energy saving measures. You will promote the successful completion of energy efficiency improvements and install Instant Savings Measures at the time of the assessment. Home Energy Advisors must be able to travel daily to customer homes to perform home assessments in their personal vehicles. Must have Saturday availability once 5 week training program is complete.
- Complete comprehensive and precise residential home energy assessments in accordance with the standards in the Massachusetts Residential Conservation Services Program and Next Step Living practices.
- Educate home owners in energy efficiency practices -- both basic weatherization improvements as well as deeper energy saving measures.
- Promote the successful completion of energy efficiency improvements and install Instant Savings Measures such as light bulbs and thermostats at the time of the assessment.
- Conduct home energy assessments in residential homes, entering attics, basements and crawl spaces
- Conduct combustion safety testing and infrared scanning to evaluate existing conditions and recommend energy efficiency improvements
- Install instant savings measures such as compact fluorescent lamps and other energy savings devices as defined by the Mass Save Home Energy Assessment Program
- Complete detailed and accurate data collection and measurements
- Interact with homeowners and tenants, answering questions regarding energy efficiency and recommend next steps
- Promotes and encourages adoption of energy saving measures recommended based on the home energy assessment, including weatherization, windows, heat pumps and solar
- Comprehensive 5 week training program includes BPI certification training. Schedule during training period is Monday-Friday. Once training is complete, Home Energy Advisors will work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule. Saturday availability is required.
New hires begin as Trainees while they complete classroom and field training. Upon successful completion of the training, Trainees are promoted to Home Energy Advisors and begin their individual home assessment schedule. A Trainee completes classroom training on program rules, general building science practices and NSL protocols and procedures. Then they shadow a Home Energy Advisor in the process of conducting routine home assessments for up to 4 additional weeks.
- Bachelor's degree is strongly preferred
- Educational background or strong interest in building science is preferred
- Sales experience is preferred
- Commitment to superior customer service
- Goal-driven and desire to succeed in a metric-driven environment
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate technical and program concepts to home owners, and other interested parties or organizations.
- Must pass extensive pre-employment national criminal background check and drug screening and have a valid driver’s license with at least three (3) year’s clean driving record.
- Ability to calculate discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, etc.
- Computer proficiency, including experience with Windows-based office applications is required.
- Familiarity with computerized building energy modeling software or other residential construction software strongly preferred.
- BPI certification required within six months of hire
- Must be comfortable with physical demands, in addition to heights and confined spaces (as required when accurately scoping for work)
Named to the Inc. 500 list of the fastest-growing companies in the country, Next Step Living™ is New England’s leading provider of whole-home energy solutions. It makes it easy and affordable for people to live in homes with a low environmental impact. Headquartered in Boston’s Innovation District and with an office in New Haven, Conn., Next Step Living is a one-stop service provider for informed advice, funding guidance and expert work. The company has partnered with more than 400 municipalities, civic organizations and leading corporations to deliver energy-efficient and environmentally friendly solutions for better living. Since 2008, Next Step Living has helped tens of thousands of homeowners achieve almost $15 million in energy savings, which is expected to grow to $70 million in the next five years. Next Step Living makes our world better. Please visit NextStepLiving.com for more information.