Linux Administrator - NIH/NHGRI
|# of openings:||1|
When you decide to join the Digicon team, you gain the benefit of peace of mind. Our clients and partners choose us because we give them the innovations, solutions, and worry-free support that they need to excel. Our employees choose us because we offer the diverse career avenues, cutting-edge work, and corporate culture of stability, camaraderie, and work-life balance that they deserve. Approach the future with clarity and confidence—join Digicon.
We are currently in search for a Linux Administrator to work at the National Institutes of Health, National Human Genome Research Institute (NIH/NHGRI) in Bethesda, MD. This is a full-time employee position with Digicon Corporation.
The Linux Administrator will support the needs of a scientific research environment. The candidate will need experience administering Linux systems (computing clusters a plus), and knowledge of applications that run on them, and a demonstrated competency in the design, build, and configuration of services necessary for research computing. Candidates with Linux experience willing to acquire High Performance Computing (HPC) skill are strongly urged to consider.
The preferred candidate will possess strong analysis and decision-making skills with the ability to conduct briefings and participate in technical cross-functional meetings; strong commitment to process and understanding of change and configuration management principles in support of a validated environment.
The position will require candidates to collaborate with Data Center, Linux, Apple Macintosh, Microsoft Windows, Oracle Administrators and Project Managers. This is a customer service focused environment with the business needs of a scientific environment, as well as high reliability and a 24 x 7 up time.
• In depth knowledge of UNIX/Linux systems, system administration tools, methodologies, and security practices. CentOS and Scientific Linux Knowledge.
• Domain knowledge in computing clusters and system software such as cluster management/provisioning tools, job schedulers, MPI, etc a plus.
• In-depth understanding of one or more of the technology fields such as storage (FC, SAS, iSCSI, FCoE), high speed interconnects (InfiniBand, 10GigE, etc), cluster file systems (pNFS, Lustre, PVFS), provisioning tools, MPI.
• Proactive communication to manage scope and schedule for multiple priorities
• Participate and adhere to change management processes
• Customer Service Focus – Business Needs (Support Science), Reliability, Up Time (24 x7) etc
• Resolve escalated issues from Tier 2 and Tier 3 to assist desktop support team
• Design and implement disaster recovery plans, implement backups with tools like Networker.
• Actively monitor IT maintained systems with monitoring tools such as xymon
• Be available on page for monitors and alerts during after hours
• Rack and stack servers and network equipment
Education/Training/ Certification Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or equivalent.
• Ability to pass a public trust clearance
Additional Skills and Experience Desired:
• Programming languages (Python, C, Ruby, Perl, R).
• Federal and NIH experience - nice to have
• Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Digicon Corporation, founded in 1985, is a full-service Information Technology solutions provider with numerous nationwide clients and over 300 employees. We offer exciting and diverse careers in federal, state and local, and commercial arenas throughout the Washington, DC metropolitan area and beyond. As an Equal Opportunity Employer that provides comprehensive and flexible benefits packages, Digicon is dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse community of exceptional professionals.
All candidates must be authorized to work in the US for any employer and able to pass a background check. No relocation assistance is available. *CB EOE M/F/D/V.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results