Mechanical Engineering Lead
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineering Lead for our City of Industry, CA location. This individual plans, directs and coordinates the activities of the mechanical engineering staff in the design, development, fabrication, assembly and test of aerospace avionics and electronics units per customer requirements.
Create staffing plans to ensure programs are staffed to the correct levels with the appropriate engineers, hire as needed to augment the current engineering staff
Acts as an advisor to staff members to meet established cost and schedule targets or resolve technical issues. Provide mentorship, leadership, and technical guidance for the mechanical engineering team
Develops Lean/process improvement programs to reduce development time, improve product quality and manufacturability and reduce product cost.
- Design of complex electro-mechanical assemblies & systems including aluminum chassis design, heatsink design, PCB packaging
- Perform thermal and strength FEA analysis and prepare reports on results
- Perform laboratory verification testing of electro-mechanical assemblies, including vibration, shock, and thermal testing
- Create production drawings for machined parts, plastic injection molded parts, sheet metal fabrication, mechanical sub-assemblies, PCB fabrication, PCB assemblies and associated parts lists
- Management of the mechanical engineering functions to facilitate the design, integration, verification, and production transfer of avionics hardware.
- Work with program management to develops cost and schedule baselines and targets and to ensure programs are staffed with the appropriate engineering personnel
- Ensure all designs meet both internal and customer requirements and design standards.
- Identify issues and risks, develop corresponding mitigation/action plans, and track to closure
- Provide guidance and direction to the mechanical engineering personnel
- Work with the sales team to develop engineering input to proposals including technical, cost, schedule, and risk definition to meet customer needs.
- Coaching, mentoring, and development of engineering personnel including training, performance evaluation reviews, and hiring/termination recommendations
Essential Skills and Experience
- 15 - 20 Years of aerospace electro-mechanical design and development experience including knowledge of electronics mechanical design practices and procedures
- Knowledge of IPC Standards for the design and manufacturing of electronics assemblies.
- Knowledge of ASME Y14.100-2000 & Y14.5-1994 drawing requirements.
- Knowledge of industry & military specifications for materials, parts, and processes.
- Knowledge of various fabrication and assembly processes, including metal/plastics machining, plastic injection molding, sheet metal fabrication processes, brazing, welding, printed circuit board fabrication, printed circuit board assembly, and printed circuit board rework processes.
- Technical knowledge of Electronics Packaging, Printed Wiring Board Layouts, Thermal Analysis, Strength Analysis
- Previous experience in the management of aerospace development programs including cost and schedule management
- Proven accomplishments in positions of leadership managing various levels of mechanical engineers
- Working knowledge mechanical design and simulation tools such as PADS, AutoCAD, Cosmos Design Star, AutoDesk Mechanical Simulation
- Experience with Microsoft Office including Word Excel, Powerpoint and Project
- Familiarity with Root Cause and Corrective Action methodologies
- Previous experience in RTCA/DO-160 processes and FAA Certification
- Creativity, innovation, commitment to excellence with the ability to work in a diverse, fast paced environment
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Customer focused with a bias towards action
- Excellent analysis and decision making skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of internal and external management
Minimum Education Requirements
- BSME, Master’s Degree preferred
This position may require exposure to information which is subject to US export control regulations, i.e. the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of U.S. regulations.