Progress customers and partners have big ideas. We help them turn their ideas into business reality through the rapid development, deployment, and management of data driven applications.
Cloud, mobile, big data, and social networks are transforming the nature of business. Progress enables those who want to harness this data and rapidly create data-driven software solutions to solve business problems or, to create a competitive advantage without being restricted to a particular device or platform.
The Principal Systems Engineer is a customer-facing technical presales role that works as part of the Sales team to qualify, develop, advance and close sales opportunities. The SE will architect and position Progress Corticon Business Rules Management System along with our Progress Pacific PaaS with their associated Value Propositions to align with the needs of prospective and existing customers.
This position requires working closely with sales executives on assigned accounts and opportunities to set sales strategy and "own" the technical relationship within the account or opportunity. This position requires travel ranging from 50%-75% within North America.
• Sales support including technical discovery, qualification, solution visioning, solution demonstration, and proof of concept/value steps
• Understand the customer, partner or end-user’s business requirements, needs, and objectives. Create presentations and demonstrations that exemplify how Progress Software can best meet the requirements.
• Deliver, manage or participate in Proof-of-Concept projects and demonstrations.
• Be knowledgeable of relevant industry trends, opportunities, and challenges impacting customers and partners.
• Proactively contribute ideas and support for revenue generating sales and marketing campaigns and recruit customers or partners to participate.
• Evangelize - build and promote company and individual stature with customers and in relevant markets. Leverage social media and promote the use of social media by others within the company.
Participate in targeted industry and customer events.
• Respond to Requests for Information (RFI’s) and Requests for Proposals (RFP’s).
• Communicate technical and product feedback needs of customers and prospects to Progress product and leadership teams.
• Communicate business and technical requirements to professional services providers to create a continuous degree of customer satisfaction.
• Continuously gather knowledge of competitors and their projects and how to effectively position Progress Software products and solutions against them.
• Proactively seek to contribute to Progress Software’s growth objectives by providing mentoring to other SE’s.
Work from home in any major city and Travel 50%-75% nationwide
Minimum of 6 years experience in a PreSales / Systems Engineering role with a proven track record of sales revenue generation, customer success, and customer satisfaction. Key knowledge and skills include the following:
• Ability to visualize, validate and express unique value propositions and solution advantages in the context of each customer engagement. Comfortable with both technical and executive level audiences
• Experience or familiarity with most of the following technology segments including competitive knowledge and knowledge of current market forces:
• Knowledge of or direct experience with business applications designed to be run or sold in a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) business model
• Traditional and Cloud-based application development platforms and related IT development and deployment challenges - Java, .NET, PaaS, Progress OpenEdge and Pacific, open source web, Mobile, social, etc...
• Cloud infrastructures and services segments - IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, etc...
• Data integration, data access, big data, reporting, analytics and emerging technology trends in these areas for Cloud, on-premise and hybrid use
• Database design, data flow, reporting, RDBMS capabilities
• Software development processes (SDLC) for both traditional on-premise and Cloud development
• Application integration - technologies, Cloud/on-premise/hybrid design options, common standards
• Existing and emerging Cloud security practices and standards is a significant plus
• User experience (UX), user interface (UI) and responsive design experience is a plus
• Sales process, formal sales training and working as part of a virtual account team
• Proven consultative selling, problem solving and strategic thinking is highly preferred
• Advanced listening, verbal, and writing skills
• Strong presentation skills with an understanding of how to hold and control an audience in both small and large group environments
The Progress portfolio of software products: (This role will support Corticon, Progress Pacific and Rollbase products)
Corticon: Business Rules Management System (BRMS) Progress Corticon helps enterprises make faster decisions by managing the business rules that drive their business processes.
Progress Pacific: Platform as a Service (PaaS)
Rollbase: The rapid application development platform for Progress Pacific
OpenEdge: Application Development Platform Accelerate your application development process with Progress OpenEdge, a scalable and open platform that is compatible with any database, user interface (UI), and operating system.
DataDirect Connect: ODBC drivers, JDBC drivers and ADO.NET data providers for all major relational databases such as Oracle, DB2, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, and Informix.
DataDirect Cloud: Connect the world's most popular SaaS application data with your application or your favorite BI/reporting tools. Real-time access to sources such as Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics through standards-based interfaces.
Easyl: Insight Through Data—Self-Service Data Integration & Collaboration
* Progress provides 3 week vacation, 3 Floating Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long & Short term disability, 401k match. Benefits start immediately