1. Develops information sources. Reads, analyzes, and evaluates data and literature. Prepares preliminary outlines of projects to determine appropriate methodology. Conducts discussions with various officials, academics, allied groups and staff. Analyzes data developed and prepares written interpretations. Synthesizes data for specific sections of the report or other types of output. Verifies references and checks facts of committee reports.
2. Performs research and analysis, analyzing and organizing technical data and reports and compiling summaries of information. May perform basic statistical research and analysis. Prepares and formats various survey instruments and databases to accept specified information.
3. Manages database to track references. Manages and maintains bibliographic and analytical databases. Documents and establishes files on all statistical analyses performed indicating methodology, variations in manipulation of data and resource materials used.
4. Writes technical papers or summaries. Abstracts information from scientific studies to create tables for committee review or use in committee reports. Drafts, summarizes, and edits findings and provides feedback to appropriate parties.
5. May ensure Federal Advisory Committee Act, (FACA) and Governing Board Executive Committee (GBEC) compliance. Ensures Current Projects System (CPS) is posted and updated in a timely manner, the Public Access File is maintained, and documents are properly archived.
6. Participates in selecting literature for committee members, forum and workshop participants, and other applicable groups to receive through mailings, briefing books, and meetings. Attends meetings to present and receive feedback regarding study area and prepares meeting summaries.
7. Prepares the report for review and assists with review response. Ensures edits are included in the report. Creates bibliographies, graphics, and tables for reports.
8. Responds to inquiries from the public sector, sponsors and other scientific peers outside of the National Academies. Increases public awareness of studies. Identifies and contacts professional and advocacy groups interested in the committee’s work.
9. Performs administrative tasks such as corresponding with committee members, participating in the planning and execution of committee meetings, and other tasks associated with preparing for committee meetings and workshops.
10. Serves as a mentor and/or resource to employees. May be responsible for training and supervising junior staff.
11. May assist senior staff in researching and identifying potential speakers and committee and forum members.