Please note: this is a causal on-call position, working up to 35 hours per month.
The Banff Centre is a one-of-a-kind arts institution located on the side of Tunnel Mountain, overlooking the beautiful Bow Valley and the picturesque Town of Banff. The Banff Centre experience isn't only about nurturing artistic and intellectual innovation. Creativity requires a healthy body as well as a healthy mind, and we offer a wide range of recreational opportunities and fitness services for people of all abilities and interests.
The Sally Borden Fitness and Recreation Centre (SBFEC) is looking for casual Recreation Staff / Aquatics Specialists to provide exceptional customer-service at the reception desk, and while lifeguarding and providing swimming instruction to all Banff Centre artists, guests, members and drop-in visitors.
- Registration for community courses, therapeutic services, and collecting fees
- Perform life guarding duties, maintaining compliance with the guidelines set out by the Lifesaving Society, National Lifeguard Service and Standard First Aid level "C" with CPR and AED and Oxygen Administration in order to ensure the safety of all guests.
- Pool cleaning and maintenance duties, ensuring all procedures relative to water purification and safety are effectively carried out, including proper filtration and chemical balancing.
- Processing and maintaining accurate membership records, trouble-shooting and data entry to ensure that all memberships are current with dues paid.
- Provide Canadian Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certified swimming instruction, evaluate program participants, and ensure all necessary administration is complete.
- Work with clients to determine appropriate instruction based on their needs, communicate progress effectively, and seek feedback on instruction/programs as a whole.
The Ideal Candidate
- Possess current Canadian qualifications for National Lifeguard Service, Canadian Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Standard First Aid with Level "C" CPR and AED, and oxygen administration.
- Recertify required qualifications if they expire within 6-months of employment
- Has previous customer service experience and basic computer skills
- There are specific clothing requirements for this position.
- The nature of the job requires irregular work schedules, working evening and weekend programs.
- Candidates must provide copies of all required qualifications before a final job offer can be made.
- Candidates offered a position with the Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check through the local R.C.M.P. detachment verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be made.
Employment Terms & Benefits
In accordance with CUPE local 4318, this is casual support staff position, working up to 35 hours per month.
The primary position, Recreation Staff, pays $15.72 per hour. The secondary position, Aquatics Specialist, pays $17.46 per hour.
The Centre offers on-the-job training, a supportive work environment, a staff cafeteria, subsidized fitness memberships, staff events, and free or reduced admission to many Centre concerts, films, lectures, and exhibitions.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please submit your application online via The Banff Centre careers website as per below.
We are accepting applications for this position until suitable candidates are found.
For new applicants, click ‘Apply for this Position’ at the bottom of this page and complete the application for employment. Please upload your cover letter (quoting the appropriate position title) and resume in either .doc or .pdf format.
For previous applicants, log into your profile at the bottom of this page using your email address and password, then click on the browse button to upload your cover letter (quoting the appropriate position title) and resume in either .doc or .pdf format.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. The Banff Centre hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its work community. If you are a foreign national please visit our International Applicants page for more information.
To check the status of your application at any time, please go to previous applicants and log into your profile. We thank all applicants for their interest however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in working at The Banff Centre.
The Banff Centre, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for above. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for The Banff Centre. The information is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner.