DEPARTMENT: Radio Sawa- News
REPORTS TO: : Radio Sawa Managing Editor
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Oversee Radio Sawa’s network of reporters’ performances in the field worldwide (except Iraq) to ensure that day-to-day coverage is timely, balanced, and meets radio journalism professional standards. Initiate coverage ideas and follow up on their implementation.
DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES: (Essential Functions: Duties and responsibilities noted with bullets are considered to be the essential functions of the job).
- Coordinate fully with the Managing Editor on all matters affecting stringer coverage.
- Monitor events of the day; discuss coverage plans with reporters, and alert them in case of breaking news or priority issues.
- Monitor reporters' feeds for timeliness, substance, language structure, and balance.
- Exercise sound editorial judgment in shaping the focus of Sawa News coverage in the field in coordination with the news teams.
- Train reporters on the use of FTP filing to help maintain Sawa’s distinguished sound on the air
- Initiate plans for reporting trips outside the stringers’ home bases in coordination with the Managing Editor.
- Establish and maintain a database of contacts. Encourage stringers to contribute names and numbers to build, enhance database and keep it current.
- Scan submitted applications for vacancies for possible short-listed candidates for writers and reporters positions.
- Administer candidates' tests and make recommendations to the Managing Editor regarding replacement of stringers and new candidates for hiring.
- Identify equipment needs for the stringers and work with the Director of Technical Operations to recommend that equipment be sent to them if required.
- Oversee traffic of reports through the FTP system and share reporters' scripts with the web desk.
- Monitor other media outlets’ coverage for comparative purposes.
- Continually expand one’s network of contacts with news makers, institutions, and organizations for getting press releases prior to events and announcements.
- Draft a weekly stringer report for the Managing Editor and General Manager.
- Follow the media environment in the broadcast region, including the evolution of US and international policies.
- Master the various pieces of technical equipment, including computers, Team News, Dalet, FTP, and studio equipment, used in performance of assigned duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The incumbent may be asked to perform additional duties and take on other responsibilities as dictated by events and circumstances.
QUALIFICATION/EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelors degree in journalism or broadcast journalism preferred
- Excellent Arabic writing skills.
- Strong news judgment and organizational skills.
- Good creative and editorial judgment. Mastery of journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Knowledge of story development and reporting in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
- Superior story writing and storytelling ability with ability to write clear and concise news stories that display strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and make quick decisions that reflect self-discipline and time-management skills.
- Ability to demonstrate discretion, maturity and composure especially under pressure.
- Inquisitive and self directed.
- Proficient with Internet, database and computer assisted reporting techniques.
- Able to work effectively with all levels of management and staff in a professional manner.
- Accommodate flexible hours including nights, weekends, holidays and irregular hours at a moments notice.
Middle East Broadcasting Networks, Inc. (MBN) is proud to be an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer.