OnPoint, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sapient Government Services, is a vibrant, energetic, and growing ISO-certified technology and management consulting partner that provides critical thinking, strategic analysis, and thought leadership in a collaborative environment in an enduring effort to improve performance, lower costs, and achieve results for clients. We are guided by our principles: Clarity. Action. Results—for each client engagement we work to gain clarity, move into action, and achieve results. OnPoint specializes in delivering solutions in Information Assurance, Network Operations, Project Management and Systems Development.
OnPoint has a multi-year task with the U.S. Department of State and we are adding to our current team. We are looking for a Lead Database Administrator. This in an operational role which will involve database monitoring, performance tuning, backup and recovery, installation, maintenance and disaster recovery.
The Lead Database Administrator will coordinate all activities with the DBA team, track and report on team activities, perform peer reviews, provide analysis and troubleshoot escalated issues, report to Program Management and will be a hands-on participant in supporting the following activities:
• Responding to all requests from the Program/Project Manager and other project leads.
• Tracking and assigning trouble tickets
• Backup and Recovery
• Performing daily database monitoring / maintenance reviews.
• Performing database recoveries.
• Leading the development and maintenance of sound database backup and recovery plans.
• Installation and Security
• Installing, configuring, and managing SQL Server 2005/2008 following Standard Operating Procedures and security policies.
• Installing, configuring and managing all necessary extended SQL Server modules, such as Reporting Services (SSRS), Integration Services (SSIS), etc.
• Providing resolutions to the configurations, settings, and customizations that impact availability, performance, and manageability.
• Following standardized security policies and procedures to ensure controls are in place and enforcing appropriately at the team and database environment levels.
• Performing comprehensive reviews of database environments and operations; providing thorough documentation of observations and recommendations according to established Department of State best practices.
• Performing database space management, including extent checks and extending database space as needed.
• Performance monitoring and tuning of Microsoft SQL Server DB Transact/SQL.
• Performing standard database operations including exports, imports, table restorations, and reorganizations as needed to support application performance and development.
• Reviewing and ensuring data integrity via standardized report tools.
• Developing scripts for checking/testing data validity, backup jobs to ensure that they occur successfully and establish automatic notification of success or failure.
• Analyzing SQL Server indexes for performance tuning.
• Providing mentoring, and technical assistance as requested.
• Providing annual evaluations of DBA staff
• Creating policies and direction to adhere to company/client policies and to accommodate new and emerging database technology.
• Performing complex database administration assignments essential to the production and development of Database Management Systems (DBMS) applications.
• Completing assignments which are in direct support of software development and operations teams, which include: database analysis, security support, design, performance monitoring, tuning, and troubleshooting.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technology field
• 6 or more years of experience functioning as SQL DBA in a mixed SQL 2000, 2005 and 2008
• 4 or more years of relevant work experience on Infrastructure-related projects or initiatives
• Strong technical skills with installation, configuration, administration and maintenance of SQL Server 2000, 2005, and 2008.
• Experience in performance tuning of T-SQL queries, indexes, disk I/O, memory and CPU.
• Ability to write complex stored procedures and SQL queries, along with other SQL Server admin skills.
• Basic familiarity with Active Directory security authentication mechanisms, such as Kerberos, NTLM, and forms- based authentication (FBA).
• Familiarity with VMware and managing SQL databases in a virtualized environment.
• Experience with SharePoint implementation and administration.
• Experience with SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS is a plus, but not required.
• Strong Reporting skills preferred.
• Strong documentation skills.
• Ability to organize, prioritize, analyze and verify requirements
• Can plan technology business analysis activities.
• MS Office skills (Excel, Word) preferred.
• MS SharePoint knowledge preferred.
• Experience leading a team of DBAs.
• Active Top Secret Security Clearance required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, or working conditions.
OnPoint Consulting is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Candidates for positions with OnPoint Consulting must be authorized to work in the United States without benefit of visa sponsorship.
Candidates for this position will undergo a government background investigation and must meet the requirements for access to sensitive government information.