Casework Assistant Intern
|Location:||US - NY -New York|
|Employee Category:||Part Time|
Title: Casework Assistant Intern
Location: IRC New York, 263 West 38th Street, 6th floor, New York, NY 10018
Time Commitment: At least 15 hours/week for a minimum of 3 months
SCOPE OF INTERNSHIP: The Casework Assistant Intern for the IRC in New York will assist Resettlement Services staff in providing reception and placement services to newly arrived refugees. The intern will gain in-depth knowledge on the refugee resettlement process in the U.S. The intern will also perform clerical and administrative duties when necessary.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
· Assist Casework staff with resettlement services for clients, including setting up apartments for new arrivals
· Escort clients to public benefit offices and serve as their advocate
· Teach clients how to open bank accounts, cash checks and use public transportation
· Assist clients in scheduling medical and other appointments
· Help clients prepare and understand forms and paperwork
· Assist staff with clerical and administrative duties as needed
· Communicate effectively in person and by telephone
· Maintain proper boundaries with clients, and refer issues regarding employment, social services, and health care to appropriate staff members
· Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.
· Other related duties as assigned.
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language such as Arabic, Burmese, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), French, Nepali or Tigrinya, preferred
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you have previously applied to a position on our website, input your e-mail address and password below to login. Once logged in, you will be able to see the status of your prior applications and search and apply for new positions. If the login fails with one email, please try all other possible email addresses you may have submitted your original application with.
|Back to Search Results