Work at one of the prettiest towns in Canada in the gentle environment of the world's largest salt mine.
Compass Minerals is a worldwide leader in the production and distribution of inorganic minerals. Our products include food grade salt, water softener salt, packaged deicers, industrial salt, road deicing, magnesium chloride, animal feed supplements, as well as sulfate of potash.
The Goderich Salt Mine, the world’s largest salt mine, is located at 300 North Harbour Road, in Goderich Ontario which is a beautiful community of 8,000 people situated on the shore of Lake Huron.
We have an immediate opening for a qualified LOGISTICS MANAGER at our underground Salt Mine, mine in Goderich, Ontario.
This position is primarily responsible for managing Logistics for Hwy Salt Operations in Canada. Management of Logistics includes sourcing and contracting of depots, handlers and transport agreements, managing Supplier performance, and ensuring Supplier capabilities are secured consistent with business requirements to deliver the lowest cost possible for the desired level of service. This also includes ensuring the execution of our shipments are efficient and effective.
The Logistics manager will serve as the primary focal point for specific Canadian logistics suppliers having a primary focus on Ontario and routine interface with sales and the Goderich mine. There will be a strong focus on generating competitive cost, ensuring Supplier accountability, strengthening Supplier relationships, and improving efficiency of internal processes so that transactions are defect free.
This role reports to the Sr. Manager of Logistics for Hwy Canada.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: (Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
- Focal point for Logistics for defined areas, providing solutions, feedback for inquiries and resolving operating issues.
- Ensures Logistics capabilities meet current and future forecasts. Proactively works with sales &/or mine to resolve imbalances.
- Source depots, leases, and carrier services consistent with sourcing requirements and ensure contracts are in place, in compliance, and timely.
- Primary lead for Supplier relationships for assigned areas and ensures Suppliers have connectivity to business requirements/forecast.
- Generates Supplier scorecards, reviews performance & audits Suppliers to ensure Supplier contribution and accountability. Nominates Supplier for service awards where appropriate.
- Inputs all contract rates for Canadian movements into E1 and keeps current list of supplier capability.
- Resolves transactions in E1 unable to process due to incomplete logistics data as captured by shipped not posted or scale ticket exceptions.
- Focal point to freight audit team to ensure that freight validation and payment are working satisfactory for the carriers.
- Provides necessary cost information to HMIS System for timely and efficient bidding, & for budgets.
- Provides key metrics on performance for Hwy Canadian logistics suppliers.
- Provides back up to Sr. Manager of Logistics, performing vessel schedule as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned. [As candidate grows in capabilities and efficiency, other Canadian logistics opportunities will be assigned.]
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience, PC Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business or Logistics; 5-years experience working in Logistics, MBA a plus.
- Experience with BULK trucking, rail, & terminal operations strongly preferred.
- Familiarization with systems preferred. Enterprise and Transportation Mgt. System is preferred.
- Sufficient in MS Word, Power-Point and Excel.
- Travel requirements include NA travel of approximately 10%.
Competency: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate:
Advanced level of competency:
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
Initiative - Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Attention to Detail - able to accurately and efficient input and record in information.
Moderate level of competency:
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflow and procedures.
Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
If candidate cannot be located at this level, consideration will be given to another level.
Apply on-line at : www.CompassMinerals.com
Compass Minerals is an equal opportunity employer that hires and promotes the best candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status.
M/F/D/V encouraged to apply