Continuous Improvement Manager
||Goderich, ON (Mine)
|# of openings:
TITLE: Continuous Improvement Manager
LOCATION: Goderich Mine
REPORTS TO: VP, Operations, Goderich Mine
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Summary: Under the supervision of the VP Operations Goderich Mine, this position works with teams to prepare, train, and conduct process improvement events utilizing Lean and Six Sigma Tools. Will develop and prepare materials for use in such events, coordinate with department managers and participants, lead instruction on the use of process improvement tools, facilitate team decisions, monitor team work, use available resources to help resolve team conflict, assist in the development of implementation action plans, and conduct follow-up.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: (Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
- Adheres to all company Policies and Procedures and actively acts as site champion for Continuous Improvement and its activities and services to others.
- Participates in design, execution, training, and maintenance of Compass Minerals - Continuous Improvement Process Best Practices (CMP-CIP). Leads site self-assessment of performance vs. Best Practices and occasionally assesses other CMP sites for performance vs. Best Practices.
- Presents, facilitates, and leads assigned process improvement events using CMP-CIP Lean and Six Sigma Methods. As organizational capability is built in these techniques, act as champion and mentor to event leaders utilizing these methods to lead events.
- Act as the site champion for Compass Reliable Asset Management Process (RAM), working with the Operations, Maintenance, and MRO Teams to drive asset health and availability to levels needed to support the business goals of the organization.
- Seeks and evaluates process improvement and Lean Enterprise information, materials, and methods to match specific organizational needs as outlined by management, and adapts them to use in the execution of process improvement events.
- Participates in the development of Event Charters. Works with departmental managers to assure appropriate scheduling, participation, and support. Assists in locating and reserving meeting locations and coordinating the delivery of services and materials necessary for a successful event.
- Provides event follow-up to monitor the progress of planned improvement implementation to assure timely action, appropriate management support, and achievement of expected benefits.
- Uses appropriate measurement, analysis and evaluation methods to accurately identify and document process improvements.
- Develops reports of overall Continuous Improvement activities including accomplishments, participation, projected activities, and anticipated needs.
- Coordinates with related departments and functions to assure appropriate information flow and understanding of overall process improvement direction.
- Prepares purchase information for departmental managers review to identify materials, software and other resources required for effective implementation of Continuous Improvement.
- Performs all other related and compatible duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree with three (3) years of related business experience or ten (10) or more years of related business experience required. Also requires:
- Experience in Lean Enterprise principles and methods, team development, leadership techniques and project management methods.
- Keen team leadership, problem analysis and solving, and process improvement skills.
- Excellent collaboration skills and demonstrated self driven initiative.
- Six Sigma / Lean Certification or equivalent experience/training is preferred
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Fluent in the math required to implement Lean Initiatives such as Six Sigma, Theory of Constraints, TAKT Time, SPC, etc.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be PC proficient and possess the ability to quickly master skills required to function with expertise in mainframe functions utilized by Compass Minerals such as Windows XP, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc...
- Technical proficiency in statistical software tools such as Minitab is preferred
Competency: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels within the organization
Planning/Organizing – Key strength
Dependability – Sets example through reliable delivery of KPI’s.
Written /Language Skills:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Effectively perform the essential duties. These specific abilities may or may not be required for this particular position.
Compass Minerals is an equal opportunity employer that hires and promotes the best candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
|Back to Search Results