Position: Associate Director of Medical Informatics
Reports to: Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Quality (MEQ), and Medical Informatics (MI)
Location: Boston, MA
Partners In Health is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Boston, MA, whose mission is to provide quality health care for the poor and marginalized in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Dominican Republic, and Navajo Nation. In addition, PIH has a growing network of affiliated organizations and initiatives in several other countries, including Nepal, Burundi, Mali, Liberia, and Togo. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works around the globe to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of it, to serve as an antidote to despair, and inspire others to do the same.
This is an exciting time for PIH. We are taking on immense challenges, and a newfound visibility has brought the opportunity to influence great change on the global stage. PIH seeks individuals committed to the mission and values of the organization (see PIH values) to join the team.
We are looking for a talented and dynamic individual for the position of Associate Director of Medical Informatics (MI) based in Boston. The candidate must have a strong background in project management and be a systems thinker who can identify healthcare challenges and apply appropriate technological solutions. This position will include both administrative and management responsibilities and systems analysis to support the development work of the Medical Informatics team. This person will need to have the ability to analyze country medical informatics needs and current systems and then work with the Senior Software Developer and other members of the medical informatics team and stakeholders to develop and implement solutions. The candidate should have an aptitude for critical evaluation particularly around information systems, strategy formulation and experience in leadership and team building and strong communications and organizational skills.
- Work with the MI team, stakeholders and MEQ to ensure that outputs from the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) are being used effectively for improving clinical care as well as monitoring, evaluation, research and quality improvement of core activities.
- Ensure collaboration with the stakeholders including IT, MEQ and clinical leadership to respond to newly identified priorities around the design, resource-needs, implementation and optimization to increase data capture, availability and use in support of improved health care delivery at PIH-supported health facilities.
- Supervise MI team in areas of implementation including business and systems analysis, field testing and feedback to the MI team and provide effective mentorship and actively build these skills within the department.
- Direct technical supervision responsibilities for business analyst, program associate
- Support the Director and Senior Developer in addressing high level HR issues and such as hiring and performance reviews.
- Independent decision making around business analysis and design and MI administrative areas
- Manage and supervise team members who are focused on implementation
- Represent the MI team at senior PIH meetings, high-level meetings with external partners, and conferences, in coordination with the Director of MEQ and Senior Developer
- Oversee MI grants including ensuring reporting and budget management
- Work with development and teams to identify new funding opportunities and assist in grant writing
- Responsibility for developing and managing team’s budget and workplan
- Represent MI as needed for development and communications in areas related to overall management, business analysis and systems
- Lead efforts with the Senior Software Developer and in-country teams and training department in developing and maintaining user training materials for systems in use as needed.
- Support data quality efforts by working with MEQ to build on and improve best practices and work plans, in collaboration with data management, data entry and clinical staff in Boston and support work in countries.
- Assess existing electronic medical record systems at PIH-supported sites to identify and work with the Boston and country team to understand the resources needed and develop approaches to address HIS gaps and improve patient care and data use.
- Provide technical guidance to site-based MI leadership on specific activities and advise on priority setting with Senior Developer and stakeholders
- Contribute to the evaluation of the impact of health information systems.
- Relevant Masters level degree or higher
- Minimum five years of experience in medical informatics, systems analysis, or other relevant experience
- Proven track record in project management.
- Knowledge of or experience in quantitative data management and information technology systems
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal direction. Willingness to travel up to 50% of time for first 6 months, then 30-40% of time
- Comfortable with travel to resource limited settings; able to function well in a challenging, dynamic environment
- Exposure to issues relevant to public health and international development
- English fluency required, French is an asset
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- A commitment to global health equity and social justice
- Good interpersonal skills