Job Title: Director, Supply Chain
Reports to: Co-Executive Directors, Zanmi Lasante
Location: Port au Prince, Haiti
Partners In Health (PIH) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Boston, MA, whose mission is to provide quality health care for the poor and marginalized in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Dominican Republic, and Navajo Nation. In addition, PIH has a growing network of affiliated organizations and initiatives in several other countries, including Nepal, Burundi, Mali, Liberia, and Togo. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works around the globe to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of it, to serve as an antidote to despair, and inspire others to do the same.
This is an exciting time for PIH. We are taking on immense challenges, and a newfound visibility has brought the opportunity to influence great change on the global stage. PIH seeks individuals committed to the mission and values of the organization to join the team.
Maintaining a well-functioning supply chain is critical to assuring quality in our clinical service and therefore core to the fulfillment of our mission. While our clinical programs have grown dramatically in Haiti over the past several years, we have outgrown our logistics processes and systems and need a fresh start. Partners In Health and Zanmi Lasante are seeking an experienced, highly skilled leader to design, test and fully implement a reliable system for managing the storage and distribution of both pharmaceuticals and other materials to our ten locations throughout rural Haiti (specifically, in the Central Plateau and the Artibonite Valley). The Director of Supply Chain will design and implement the operational plan for a new warehouse to be constructed at ZL’s administrative headquarters in Port-Au-Prince. He or she will be responsible for the management of the facility. The Director also has responsibility for developing a staffing model, recruiting, training and managing a team of warehouse employees and data clerks, and for assuring that the clinical staff, as the primary client of this function, is fully supported.
- Design, implement, and manage the operational functions of a new central warehouse. Create plan for shelving design and placement, map product flow and work flow, establish a distribution plan and schedule, create a staffing model for appropriate human resource capacity.
- Establish and implement processes for managing the supply chain. Establish and disseminate standard operating procedures. Ensure system-wide understanding of and compliance with processes.
- Implement the technology platform selected to support the supply chain. Train users and liaise with the software provider for support, troubleshooting, and integration with related systems. Ensure software user protocols are followed, and develop protocols for sharing relevant inventory data with clinical teams.
- Recruit, train and manage the staff responsible for storing and distributing materials at the central warehouse and the service delivery sites in rural Haiti, including, but not limited to: data clerks, stock pickers, order fulfillment staff, and temporary workers. Create job descriptions and training materials to ensure accountability and consistency in the day to day functioning of all stock storage locations.
- Collaborate with procurement teams in Haiti and Boston to communicate stock availability, inform ordering processes and anticipate stock outs.
- Oversee the procurement of supplies and medications from the local Haitian market. Review and assess sourcing options to maximize value and work to harmonize international and local purchasing.
- Working with the finance team, develop and implement standard procedures to ensure that local purchases are integrated into the procurement cycle and tracked using the selected technology platform.
- Build the capability of ZL's supply chain and procurement team. Provide opportunities for training and continuing acquisition of technical skills. Identify high-performing employees and support their professional development, including developing a Haitian national to succeed in the Director role.
- 8-10 years of supply chain experience
- Proven ability to design and manage effective processes and systems critical to maintaining a well-functioning supply chain.
- Ability to understand and navigate the challenges of working in the developing world.
- Highly developed orientation to, and skills in, collaboration
- Ability to work effectively across organizational, cultural, and geographic boundaries
- Demonstrated management success in working with teams with diverse skills and education levels.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills
- Commitment to health and social justice.
- Fluency in Haitian Creole and/or French strongly preferred.