Position Title: IMB NCD Administrative Coordinator
Reports to: NCD Director (primary)
Oncology Program Officer (secondary)
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
PIH ORGANIZATIONAL PROFILE
Partners In Health (PIH), headquartered in Boston, MA, is an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through its service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need and to serve as an antidote to despair. PIH has major programs in Haiti, Peru, Guatemala, Mexico, Russia, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Burundi, Kazakhstan, the Dominican Republic, and Boston, working tirelessly to lessen the joint burden of disease and poverty.
This is an exciting time for PIH. The organization is taking on immense challenges, while its increasing visibility has brought the opportunity to influence even greater changes on the global stage. Butaro Cancer Center of Excellence was inaugurated in July 2012 as a national referral site for Oncology and Pathology services in Rwanda, since then patient care and pathology testing demands have increased and related administrative volume has also expanded. As the work continues to expand, PIH seeks individuals committed to the mission and values of the organization (see PIH values) to join the team.
SUMMARY OF ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Oncology Administrative Coordinator is a position intended to provide higher level administrative support to the IMB NCD/Oncology Program. The job comprises of four primary areas: 1) ongoing administrative support to facilitate NCD/Oncology clinical care and programmatic activities, 2) technical support and mentoring of Butaro-based Oncology administrative assistant, 3) mentoring and support of Butaro-based Cancer nurse coordinator and pathology lab technicians in their programmatic duties, 4) facilitation of communication and coordination between Butaro-based clinical, pathology and pharmacy team members.
- Programmatic administrative support
- Disseminate pathology reports to requesting clinicians, at PIH-supported facilities and outside
- Manage pathology biopsy tracker*
- Identify and trouble shoot pathology reports that are delayed*
- Arrange transport of pathology specimen from Butaro to Boston (including DHL courier processing)
- Serve as communication liaison between BWH Pathology lab, Butaro pathology lab and IMB NCD Program
- Compile feedback on pathology forms documentation, specimen preparation and other quality improvement considerations
- Prepare monthly reports on pathology lab progress and challenges*
- Compile pathology SOPs and maintain hard and soft copy filing
- Maintain stock of blank pathology forms
- Facilitate management of ipath system
- Clinical: (supporting IMB NCD Admin assistant to do the following)
- Identify patients who are lost to follow up, work with Cancer nurse coordinator, Head of NCD Clinic and NCD EMR program assistant to minimize loss to follow up
- Support efforts for clinicians to use EMR tools for patient follow up and general clinical care (including OpenMRS training, utilization of EMR reports)
- Pharmacy and Procurement:
- Working with IMB and Butaro Pharmacy teams, conduct regular manual counts of stock and identify medicines and consumables that are below threshold with a view of minimizing stock outs
- Working with IMB Pharmacy team, support trainings and facilitate consistent use of Pharm EMS at Butaro Pharmacy
- Facilitate process of medications and consumables requests from Butaro Pharmacy to Cancer ward, Infusion center and NCD Clinic
- Consistently work with teams to identify challenges in clinical-, pathology- and pharmacy-related workflow; highlight areas of quality improvement relevant to the above to Oncology Program Officer; work, under the guidance of Oncology Program Officer and NCD Director, to address these at Butaro.
- Logistics and Event planning
- Follow up/coordinate paper work and orientation of visitors, trainers and new team members
- Confirm logistics for above and transport requests for Rwanda-based team members
- Provide additional hospitality support for high level Rwanda-based visitors
- Mentoring and capacity transfer:
- Support and mentor NCD/Oncology administrative assistant in time management and organizational skills
- Support and mentor Oncology cancer coordinator and pathology lab technicians in their respective programmatic roles
- Draft and distribute minutes for all NCD/Oncology programmatic meetings held at Butaro
- Working with Butaro logistics team, provide logistics and hosting support for NCD/Oncology related visitors
- Provide other admin supports, as requested
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & IDEAL ATTRIBUTES
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- At least 1 year work experience, preferably in administrative or management role
- Experience in international healthcare and/or work in resource-poor settings is preferred
- Demonstrated possession of excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills; written and oral communication skills; and an understanding of interactive skill building and mentoring
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize a variety of complex tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work productively in highly collaborative settings while also able to function independently.
- Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally- and literacy- diverse individuals.
- Highly computer literate; Experience with computer applications and Internet-based research.
- French proficiency (written and spoken) preferred.
- Understands and upholds principles of health equity and social justice
Full-time position is eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, in addition to visa fee support, clinical licensing support as applicable, and airtime for communication fees as related to placement in Rwanda.