Title: Director of Pharmacy, Hôpital Universitaire de Mirebalais
Reports to: Hôpital Universitaire Mirebalais Executive Leadership
Location: Mirebalais, Haiti (this is a full time Haiti based position)
Partners In Health (PIH) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Boston, MA, whose mission is to provide quality health care for the poor and marginalized in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Dominican Republic, and Navajo Nation. In addition, PIH has a growing network of affiliated organizations and initiatives in several other countries, including Nepal, Burundi, Mali, Liberia, and Togo. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works around the globe to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of it, to serve as an antidote to despair, and inspire others to do the same.
This is an exciting time for PIH. We are taking on immense challenges, and a newfound visibility has brought the opportunity to influence great change on the global stage. PIH seeks individuals committed to the mission and values of the organization to join the team.
In early 2013, PIH/ZL and the MSPP opened the Hôpital Universitaire Mirebalais (University Hospital). Located in the town of Mirebalais, 30 miles north of Port-au-Prince, the 300-bed national teaching hospital represents the biggest reconstruction project in the health sector launched in Haiti since the January 2010 earthquake. A national referral facility and teaching center, University Hospital was designed and built in response to a direct request from the Haitian government in accordance with the national plan to decentralize access to care and medical education. When the hospital opens, the medical campus, encompassing eleven buildings, will offer a new standard of care and provide high-quality education for the next generation of Haitian medical students, resident physicians, nurses and other clinical staff.
- To direct and manage the activities of all Pharmacy Services to ensure achievement of programmatic, training, monitoring and procurement targets of University Hospital.
- To be responsible for the operation of Pharmacy Services, including strategic planning, day-to-day operations, pharmaceutical care, clinical and in house supply chain services, financial management and personnel management.
- Work to develop a curriculum for training and educating University Hospital pharmacy staff in clinical pharmacy, focusing on patient medication history interviews, clinical medication reviews, formulation of pharmaceutical care plans including provision of expert advice to Medical, Nursing, and Pharmacy staff and other health care professionals.
- To be responsible for reporting, system and process evaluation, formulation of recommendations and initiatives, coordination of intervention strategies and monitoring of all activities relating to pharmacy.
- To be the link between Pharmacy and all Program Areas including medical education.
- To provide visible leadership and professional clinical supervision and mentorship to all pharmacy staff members and others as appropriate.
- Develop strategies, planning and develop to support the organizational goals and integrate pharmacy services.
- Management of program implementation will be critical to support the system of performance improvement, Quality improvement and standard operating procedures.
- Financial and Budget management will be required in ensuring cost savings initiative for the pharmacy and hospital drug budget.
- Monitor reporting on program activities including activities and status updates of MSPP essential medications, ARV stock levels and controlled substance medications.
- BS or equivalent degree in Pharmacy required.
- Masters in Pharmacy or related field strongly preferred, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum five to ten (5-10) years relevant pharmacy experience.
- Demonstrates strong communication, organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrates strategic thinking and vision in planning of pharmacy services for University Hospital.
- Experience living and working in resource-limited environments is strongly preferred. The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to be flexible and effective in the face of unexpected challenges as well as the willingness to accept a standard of living that is clean and comfortable but simple.
- Fluency in English and French or Creole is required.