Position: Resident Mentor Volunteer, Compañeros En Salud
Reports to: Compañeros En Salud Director
Location: Chiapas, Mexico
Position: Compañeros En Salud seeks medical residents for rotations of 3 weeks or more. Resident Mentor Volunteers will assist in training Mexican social service year physicians and implementing quality improvement programs in the CES catchment area.
Overall responsibilities: Resident volunteers will assist in training Mexican social service year physicians and implementing quality improvement programs in the CES catchment area.
1. Provide one-on-one bedside teaching for CES social service year physicians in rural Secretaria de Salud and Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social clinics. Review exam and diagnostic skills, and discuss treatment regimens for a wide range of primary care issues, with a special focus on one’s area of expertise.
2. Reinforce CES clinical algorithms for diagnosis and treatment of common primary care issues.
3. Where appropriate/desired, include nurses in these teaching discussions.
4. Where scheduling permits, provide group instruction at monthly courses at the CES office.
5. Participate in other CES activities such as outreach brigades, training or assisting acompañantes.
6. Note potential areas for quality improvement; propose and discuss solutions with the CES team. Participante in QI projects as desired.
Successful candidates will match the following criteria:
- Resident in Emergency, Family, Medicine, Med/Peds, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, or Primary Care
- High level of Spanish comprehension and speaking proficiency; preferably with experience using Spanish in a clinical setting
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to rural conditions, i.e. experience working in a resource poor or rural setting, or experience camping
- Demonstrated commitment to service, i.e. community projects, global health projects or long-term volunteering
- Interest in teaching
- Availability for a minimum of 3 weeks
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results