Job Title: Director of Procurement
Hôpital Universitaire de Mirebalais
Reports to: HUM Executive leadership
Location: Mirebalais, Haiti
Partners In Health (PIH) is an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need. Headquartered in Boston, PIH has sites in Haiti and the Dominican Republic as well as Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Kazakhstan, Boston and the Navajo Nation, where we work to lessen the joint burden of disease and poverty.
Founded in 1985, at a small community clinic in Cange, PIH and Zanmi Lasante (ZL, our Haiti-based sister organization) pioneered a community-based model of care, hiring and training thousands of accompagnateurs to prevent illness, monitor needs and deliver quality health care to people living with chronic diseases such as HIV and tuberculosis. In partnership with the Haitian Ministry of Public Health and Population (MSPP), PIH/ZL has expanded to a total of 12 sites in the Central Plateau and the Lower Artibonite, serving a catchment area of 1.2 million people.
Early next year, PIH/ZL and the MSPP will open Hôpital Universitaire Mirebalais (HUM). Located in the town of Mirebalais, 30 miles north of Port-au-Prince, the 300-bed national teaching hospital represents the biggest reconstruction project in the health sector launched in Haiti since the January 2010 earthquake. A national referral facility and teaching center, HUM was designed and built in response to a direct request from the Haitian government in accordance with the national plan to decentralize access to care and medical education. When the hospital opens, the medical campus, encompassing eleven buildings, will offer a new standard of care and provide high-quality education for the next generation of Haitian medical students, resident physicians, nurses and other clinical staff.
The HUM Director of Procurement will lead the overall design and implementation of the HUM procurement and supply-chain management system, under the supervision of the hospital leadership. S/he will have responsibility for all aspects of HUM procurement, including management oversight of procurement processes in conjunction with department heads, as well as training and management of staff. Processes and practices developed at HUM by the Director of Procurement will be disseminated throughout the ZL supply chain to create greater system-wide efficiencies. These functions are essential to achieve HUM’s goal of providing high quality patient care in an environment of continuous process improvement.
· Create consumption tracking and inventory management systems for all hospital departments, in conjunction with departmental leadership, both clinical and non-clinical.
· Work with individual department heads to develop and implement accurate inventory and audit systems and report to executive leadership on state of inventory on an established basis.
· Develop and implement efficient and effective warehouse management for materials and supplies.
· Oversee the rollout and adoption of staffing and standard operating procedures for efficient and effective warehouse management for materials and supplies.
· Coordinate with pharmacy team in establishing systems for medication management and consumables at ward level.
· Establish and implement local and international procurement processes and systems for HUM, in conjunction with ZL’s existing guidelines for both medical and non-medical equipment and supplies.
· Work with PIH and ZL procurement teams to coordinate shipping of equipment and supplies, processing through customs and cost-efficient transport to ensure that cargo is managed at all points of the supply chain, and that all tracking and reporting deadlines are met.
· Oversee the storage, packing and management of stocks and provide technical support to the pharmacy team for supply management of medications.
· Ensure proper upkeep of the warehouse and depot such that supplies are secure, appropriately stored and systematically organized.
· Manage HUM warehouse, its system and staff.
· Participate in the development of a staffing plan for logistic and warehouse personnel, and assist with recruiting with human resources department.
· Train HUM procurement and stores personnel; manage, coordinate and assess their work in accordance with established procurement and warehousing procedures.
· Troubleshoot significant issues (such as stock outs), anticipate and work with the department heads to resolve potential problems in the procurement process.
· Work with department heads to establish and adjust internal control systems related to procurement, storage and use of medical and non-medical material and supplies; ensure that internal controls are followed through training and review.
· Coordinate with finance and administration team to ensure vendor files, payment and documentation are maintained.
· Minimum of three years of experience in procurement, supply chain and asset management in resource-limited settings.
· Excellent interpersonal, management and supervisory experience, particularly with creating and building dynamic teams.
· Demonstrated ability to set and maintain operational standards.
· Experience working within a medical or health organization preferred.
· Excellent organizational and communications skills.
· Ability to respond to frequently shifting needs on the ground with flexibility in a complex cross-cultural environment.
· Strong interest in social justice, health care and international capacity building.
· Fluent in English; proficiency in French or Haitian Creole preferred.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results