As a member of the Technical Operations team the Release Engineer is responsible for coordinating the build and deployment process for a wide range of complex web and enterprise applications, as well as all production infrastructure updates. A successful candidate will be experienced in following RM/CM policies, tools, standards, processes and controls in a fast growing SaaS organization. The Release Engineer will manage cross functional indirect resources to ensure the proper steps and approvals have been completed prior to release, provide status updates to interested stakeholders and be able to create installation plans for staging and production environments. The Release Engineer position is a key role that requires strong leadership and strategic planning experience with the willingness to lead though hands on work.
Primary Responsibilities & Objectives:
- Manages releases for Enterprise SaaS solution(s)
- Enforce standards, processes and controls for configuration and release activities
- Manages customer upgrade process – preview environment, sandboxes, staging solution, etc
- Coordinate and collaborate with others to resolve Build dependencies to ensure smooth, error-free, and timely Release Deployments. Provide deployment Oversight, Root Cause Analysis of Failures, if any, and lead Postmortem Review and Assessments for Build Mgt. Create / sustain run-books for builds and continuously enhance build Processes. Promote high degree of re-use and standardization
- Manage potential risks to business services associated with changes. Assess and mitigate actual or perceived risks to business services rooted in associated changes. Minimize frequency of Changes. Manage conflict resolution among contending Change Requests.
- Road-map Configuration Item (CI) Management to identify and sustain Product Structures. Identify components and their types. Identify dependencies and co-dependencies among CIs. Partner throughout to structure code repositories for flexible architecture to support complex co-dependencies among Products (Paired Products) and interdependencies among Modules, APIs. Road-map artifact management for Product composition and artifact dependencies throughout Application Lifecycle leading to establish / sustaining Product baseline
- Oversee the service reliability and software quality control for releases
- Manage the production release process to make sure that data center operation is robust. This includes system load tests and a progressive release process
- Leverage tools that support and automate processes for software product release
- Facilitates release team meetings, coordinates issues and facilitates solutions pertaining to the release process, and maintains release documentation
- Log, track and escalate high priority project issues affecting ability to deliver quality products according to plan
Qualifications, Skills & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of experience in release and change management in an Agile SDLC
- 2 years minimum experience managing Saas enterprise solutions in a release role
- Extensive experience working with Windows, Linux/Unix, Sun/Solaris with SQL backend in a highly virtualized SaaS environment is highly recommended
- Proven experience in project management and demonstrable ability to pay attention to details
- Solid understanding in software development lifecycle, configuration and change control management
- Working knowledge of Data Center policies, procedures and best practices
- Knowledge of .NET/C#, Java, IIS, Apache and Jira is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication, good presentation skills
- Excellent problem solving and decision making ability
- Strong ability in communicating and coordinating with multiple project teams, development/QA/Operations, to create actionable release plan and ensure successful product release.
- Requires 24/7 availability
- Must be a team player with can-do attitude and strong work ethics to provide superior customer support